PART FOUR | EVOLUTION

"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."

Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

±

The Keys, Florida, 1990

Orwell's 1984 lay on the dining table with a broken spine, page down, on top of a scattered set of maps. A kettle whistled on the stove, the background making way for palm trees and the beach, the steam mystifying the view through the window. Rain hit against the glass, the sound allowing the woman curled up in the green arm chair to take advantage of the calm.

    It was light. The atmosphere void of pressure.

    She couldn't remember the last time she'd felt this way.

You can't tell me you don't miss it.

    Rose shook her head, taking her eyes off the post card on the coffee table, instead turning to rest her head on her elbow and stare out at the rain.

There's nothing to fix. You're not broken.

    She disagreed.

    The harsh ring of the phone fixed to the wall made her hair stand on end, goosebumps covering her bare skin. With a short sigh, she stood up, walking round to the kitchen wall and plucked off the mint green receiver.

    "I found the site," the voice came without a greeting.

    "Where?"

    "The Bermuda Triangle."

    "Thank you."

    The clank of the receiver being placed back down echoed in the small space, the kettle finally finished. Rose reached over to pour the water into a cup over a tea bag, before she settled back into a seat at the dining table.

    The scrawled writing was a mix of penmanships down the ages, a cursive only partly recognisable. She'd never been afraid that anybody would decipher her writing, but this time she'd had to go to some lengths to do so. Who knew when Logan may turn up out of the blue.

    Rose turned to the window leading to the beach, her eyes catching onto the hydroplane parked on the water at the end of the dock. It had been a while that she'd used it for farther trips, but she knew it was time.

    Six years, and she would have to go back to what she knew best.

    She just didn't want to have to remember all that she had had to leave behind.

MUSIC

something's got to give by labrinth

"hey I've been caught in the red / needing the breath of life / but I came back from the dead / diamond-like, golden-like"

dancing around by flor

"I can't wait / I've been longing to be dancing around again"

superbloom by misterwives

"wallflower in the spring / oh they can't contain you / through the cracks you break through"

la di da by lennon stella

"some things don't sit right / this close to midnight / you're someone else in this light / stand in the kitchen / attempting to fix this / so I try to listen to you"

holy ghost fire by larkin poe

"stargaze child in the neon night / burn so bright can't see the light / let it go gotta close your eyes / the thunder rolls and lightning strikes"

let it ride by the blue stones

"I think I'll stay for a while / don't need me back so soon / 'cause I know you're holding it down / I've always counted on you"

no good by kaleo

"and I said, kiss your baby goodbye / come on, love, it's all right / heaven knows they wanna break you apart"

riptide by grandson

"wage war in my head when I'm tryna keep it peaceful / a little feels good, a little more and it's lethal / save me from myself"

control by halsey

"I sat alone in bed till the morning / I'm crying "they're coming for me" / and I tried to hold these secrets inside me / my mind's like a deadly disease"

shake by saint phnx

"making waves, leave you shaking for days / give you something that you can't control"

what they'll say about us by finneas

"we've got the time to take the world / and make it better than it ever was / that's what they'll say about us"

morning light (feat. alicia keys) by justin timberlake

"so I say to myself 'I don't even wanna try / here, every part of me is paralysed"