PART THREE | APOCALYPSE

"'The essential quality of life is living' the essential quality of living is change; change is evolution; and we are part of it."

John Wyndham, The Chrysalids

±

Cairo, Egypt, 1982

The men had lost track of how long they'd been digging, but they didn't care to keep counting any more. Not since they found the one thing they'd been looking for, as well as their fathers before them, and their fathers before them.

    The discovery of the tomb was important, and they'd just found the most promising object. The coin had the face of the last known incarnation of the God, buried under too many feet of sand.

    Through more hours of digging, cleaning, decluttering, the rubble was pushed aside to make way for the top of the golden tomb, glittering under their flashlights.

    They conversed in arabic, agreeing to keep it quiet until they could confirm their find.

    But it didn't matter. Silent or not, they'd unearthed a monster. Someone who would bring the end of the world as we know it.

    Moira MacTaggert had been following their tracks for a while, and it had been the first time she had the opportunity to go into the tomb. Upon her view of the pyramid-like tomb, her heart sped up in fear, as if something deep inside her knew of the dangers she was looking at. If only she knew what it would unleash, what the men had been digging so hard to find.

    That they'd found the resting place of the coming apocalypse.

MUSIC

yellow (feat. misterwives) by flor

"look at the stars / look how they shine for you / and everything you do"

sweet dreams (are made of this) by eurythmics

"I've traveled the world and the seven seas / everybody's lookin' for something"

dear happy by gabrielle aplin

"dear happy, don't go / not there, but I'm close / I just always thought I'd never win / dear happy, you see / it's not easy for me / but I'm closer than I've ever been"

dotted line // juju man by labrinth

"everybody in the world needs a hero / I can see you with some wings and a halo / can you imagine?"

dirty by grandson

"aren't you fed up yet? / do you have enough love in your heart / to go and get your hands dirty?"

trouble's coming by royal blood

"in my reflection I see signs of psychosis / I try to pay them no attention / can't keep them under the surface"

neon brother by nothing but thieves

"in the night, in the night / we are not alone / can you hear it coming?"

panic room (acoustic) by au/ra

"welcome to the panic room / where all your fears are gonna / come for you, come for you"

come as you are by nirvana

"come as you are, as you were / as I want you to be / as a friend, as a friend / as an old enemy / take your time, hurry up / choice is yours, don't be late"

shelter by finneas

"there's no way out, the city sinks into the sea / but if we go down, at least I'm in good company"

itch by nothing by thieves

"there's a rumbling in my head / it's getting louder and louder / there's a shaking in my bones / it's getting stronger and stronger"

the champion by the score

"doesn't matter is the world is shaking / I don't flinch, not a sound / and when everyone around is breaking / I'm a stone in the ground"

let me live / let me die by des rocks

"am I here, am I right / with a name that I never liked / rip me out the moment / it's killing time"

alter ego by kaleo

"you feel it rush to your head / this is the time to attack / there's nothing holding you back / now go ahead"

hallelujah by oh wonder

"cause there's a crown / covered in glitter and gold / I'm gonna wear it, whether you like it or not"

you should see me in a crown by billie eilish

"bite my tongue, bide my time / wearing a warning sign / wait 'til the world is mine"