PART TWO | HOPE

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

George Orwell, 1984

±

abandoned monastery, China, 2025

The jet descended on a flat surface, letting its cargo get off. Charles, Erik, Ororo, and Logan made their way along the stones until they found the group with a surefire way of evading Sentinel capture. At the sight of their old students, each of them allowed a small relieved smile to cross their faces, the group greeting each other.

Explaining the situation and idea of the remaining X-Men, the Free Mutants seemed hesitant until Logan offered himself. He could heal, he could make the decades back.

Agreeing to the mad idea, the mutants spread out, waiting on the Sentinels outside, while the others stayed inside to prepare Wolverine.

"So I wake up in my younger body, God knows where. Then what?" he asked Charles as he sat on the stone table.

"You'll need to go to my house and find me. Convince me of all of this," the professor explained.

"Won't you be able to just read my mind?"

"I didn't have my powers in 1973," he shook his head, Logan immediately realising this had something to do with the girl who only passed a few weeks ago.

"I guess that's the dark times she was referring to," he nodded.

"You'll need her. Logan, you're going to have to do for me what I once did for you. Lead me, guide me. I was a very different man then. You'll have to be patient with me."

"Patience is my strongest suit," Logan lied, and he knew Rose would smile if she were there.

"You'll need me as well."

"What?" Logan asked, eyebrows raised in surprise.

"After Mystique left Charles, she came with me, and I set her on a dangerous path. A darker path. By 1973, the only person she would listen to was Rose. It's going to take the three of us, side by side, at a time when we couldn't be further apart," Erik warned.

"Great," Logan sighed, looking between them both. "So the mansion for the Professor. Where do I find you and Rose?"

"Hank will know where to find Rose," Charles assured.

"For me— it's complicated."

MUSIC

vulnerable by selena gomez

"if I was the greatest thing to happen to you, would you know it?"

boots by greyson chance

"I didn't grow up like you, on vacation / I've been western before all of these punks"

waiting for you by the aces

"I'll take your hand and kiss your fingers / so you don't have to break the ice"

amateurs by fickle friends

"you're never, you're never open with me / obviously I'm a little crazy / so why you, why you, why you / why you waiting for a better life?"

good as it gets by little hurt

"I'm not who I used to be / I wouldn't know that guy if he was standing in front of me / I got this tendency / just leave it up to me, to be sad in paradise"

heart by flor

"don't wanna waste love / don't wanna hurt you"

mind at ease by abigail joy

"and I'm so confused of what you want from me / if only you left my mind at ease / tell me what it is, period, point blank / tell me what it is say it to my face / what you want from me"

i lost a friend by finneas

"I'd apologise if I thought it might make a difference / or make you listen / I'd apologise if it was black and white / but life is different / just try to listen to me now"

daphne blue (acoustic) by the band camino

"I wish it wasn't automatic / the way I want you every time / cause I see shades of you when I don't want to / can't think straight since you've been gone"

love it or leave it by tess henley

"sometimes I get the feeling I just can't help myself / forgive me, but I know what, I know what I want"

daylight by joji & diplo

"bad luck, I don't wanna be home at midnight / sun's up, I don't wanna fight the daylight / I don't care if you've moved on"

trouble by welshly arms

"got to keep my head composed / talking with the holy ghost / keeps on hanging round over my head"

ur so beautiful by grace vanderwaal

"let's sit down and think of what we could be / if you wanted to say something / you would say it, promise me"

lavender by ashleigh ball

"it was only a matter of time before you came / I'd started to lose all my interest lose my faith / when suddenly everything faded from grey / the colours took over and carried me away"