17| escape (the pina colada song)

Arlington, Virginia, 1973

"Just pull up here," Logan pointed to the house, Charles somehow managing to do so.

    "This was the worst idea you have ever had," Rose grumbled to him as she got out of the car, thankful that at least she hadn't been sitting behind Charles for the ride.

    "Next time, I'm driving," Logan agreed. "Don't get used to it."

    "I won't be distracted next time," Charles replied, still ignoring Rose, as he had done so throughout most of the drive.

    "When the hell is he going to grow up?" she asked Hank, who felt himself smile, following the other two up to the front door.

    "I missed you," he admitted quietly, Rose's smile blossoming on her face at his words. "Good to have you back."

    "Good to be back, McCoy."

    "That's nauseating," Charles sighed as Logan knocked on the window, Rose rolling her eyes again at his words.

    "I know this house," she suddenly realised at the sight of the letterbox behind them, before the door was opened by a woman, whom she recognised further. "Maggie?"

    "Rose?" the woman asked as the girl lifted her sunglasses, and she took in the sight of the three men with her. "What's he done now? I'll just write you a check for whatever he took," she offered.

    "No, we just need to talk to him," Rose told her, smiling softly at the woman she'd met maybe twice before.

    "Come in," she gave in, moving to the side before she turned towards the stairs. "Peter! The cops are here! Again."

    Making their way inside, as the door shut behind them, Rose looked to the side where the noise from the tv was coming from, to notice a little girl she definitely didn't know.

    "I'm a princess, what are you?" she asked, looking up at Rose and Logan. Sharing a look, they both looked to her, Rose crouching down.

    "I'm a teacher, this is the Wolverine," she pointed to her friend who pulled his sunglasses off. "Is your brother downstairs?"

    At the little girl's nod, Rose shot her a smile, waving the men on.

    "He didn't-" Maggie cut off as the girl shook her head.

    "He's fine. Just gonna talk to him. Are you doing all right?" she asked the woman, who gave her a sigh.

    "May, go upstairs and bug your sister," she sent the girl off.

    "But she bugs me!"

    "Get!" Maggie waved her off, the little girl rushing upstairs as her mother told her. "Wanda is d— She's difficult. And Peter isn't any better," she finally spoke once the little girl's footsteps could be heard above them.

    "Look, I— I'm sorry about the school. But you're welcome to call me if you need anything," she offered.

    "Thank you. Just don't get him in trouble," she nodded towards the basement, where the others had disappeared. "If there's anyone who can help him, it's you."

    "I'll try my best," Rose assured her, a hand on the woman's shoulder before she thanked her, and followed the others.

    She found the three men standing around, while Peter sat on the couch, catching the three by surprise.

    "I've been here all day," Peter told them, trying to absolve himself from whatever they might have thought he'd done. "Hey Rose, what are you doing here?" he asked her.