Chap 29

It was their second day in the sea, and Manik was making his bed when the metallic door flung open revealing 'The most annoying person' in his life, Lieutenant Cabir Murthy.

"What yaar, Manik? Who sleeps so early, when we have all the azaadi to chill all night? Why are you so boring?!!", Cabir whined.

"Do I look like a clown to go on entertaining you at midnight?", Manik retorted.

"God knows what my sister saw in you worth being in a relationship with.", Cabir said shrugging his shoulder while settling over the chair.

"Wha- what? Nandini?"

"What happened? Heard this name for the first time or what? Yes, I'm talking about your 'Little Doll' only.", he said doing that two fingers movement dramatically.

"Whoaytttt?? How do you know all that? You're spying on us?!!", Manik said suspiciously.

"Arre I have my sources bro.", Cabir said dramatically adjusting his collars as if he was some VIP and he had a bunch of people to dig out pieces of information for him.

"Screw all and shoot.", Manik warned walking closer to him.

"Okay soooo... two days before we sailed, you had said that you were at the Sports Complex, where you actually wasn't, right? I came to know cause I was there only with Navya. And you know girls right? They can never keep a secret in their stomach for more than 5 minutes. So she eventually blurted out everything. Not everything actually, when she realized what she was saying, she stopped. But then, the greatest of the great actor, Cabir Murthy peeked in. I acted as if you had shared everything with me, and she got trapped mwahaha." Manik was too flabbergasted to react and looked everywhere than Cabir's eyes. "So Mr. Malhotra, if you don't want me to leak the news before you two decide to share, stop being a boring ass, and let's spend some awesome bro-time. It's been long since we last spent some good times together. What say?", He said genuinely this time. Manik smiled blinking his eyes and took him into a brotherly hug.

Manik said being in the hug, "I hope you aren't angry that we hid about our relationship from all. It's just, I wanted to grow more in my career to be worth for her, and then share everything with you and Mom-Dad. But don't feel it's a usual fling, which will be forgotten with time, and what we have is nothing serious. I love your sister, like, a lot and I'm very much serious about the same. I hope you're understanding? I just want to be capable enough for her, that's it."

"You're the best Nandini could ever have." No, it wasn't Cabir. Manik broke the hug, alarmed, and saw Anant standing at the doorstep.

"Exactly.", Cabir seconded Anant.

Anant walked ahead and hugged Manik. "I'm happy." Just two words and Manik felt blessed.

"Thank you, Dad.", Manik whispered.

"I was waiting for my son at the deck. And when it was unusually late, I thought of calling him myself. But then, he had his friend this time, so why would he even come to me? I understand, Manik.", Anant said dramatically and started leaving.

Manik ran to stop him and said, "Dad, do you think I'll choose to be with a monkey when I have you?"

"True that.", Manik laughed along with Anant.

"Are you even my father, Dad?", Cabir whined being offended. Anant shrugged and started walking away with Manik. Cabir tagged them this time, sulking.

Since then it had been their routine to meet up at the ship's deck and spend time together watching the infinite sky above and the endless sea underneath. Manik suddenly felt blessed to have got a family, which he had been craving for since long.