Epilogue-2

Another not-so-special day of his service in Lebanon ended. And the sun was kissing the Mediterranean sea bidding adieu to another day.

Tired and exhausted, he returned to his apartment, and instead of the painful silence, a female voice humming some tune greeted him today. Alarmed, he stood on his track as he tried processing if the sound he was hearing was even real. Almost after a few minutes, when reality sank in him, he rushed to the source as his breathing hitched.

'This can't be true', he said to his blood pumping machine drumming inside his chest. All excited to jump out through his mouth any moment as he stared dumbfounded at the human figure inside his bedroom, sitting at the edge of the bed as she shuffled through the contents inside his wardrobe.

"You?", he breathed out almost counting seconds down to collapsing on the floor any moment.

That little voice escaping his mouth didn't go inaudible to her. She looked up at him flashing the best smile ever. It was getting way more difficult for him to breathe with each passing second.

If it was a dream, he never wanted to wake up. If it was a halucination, he didn't want to get back to the reality.

"Tell me it's not a dream.", he uttered making her laugh.

"Well hello to you too, my love.", she said standing up.

"No you're not here. I know. I know you're─" He said moving back as she moved closer.

"Stop moving back, Malhotra! And stand still. I'm too exhausted after the long 6 hours flight to chase you now."

"You─ you're actualy here?", he asked still not believing his eyes and ears.

"Come here and hug me already!!", she said opening her arms at him. Totally ignoring his baseless question.

The next thing she knew was her feet being lifted off the floor and everything moving in circular motion. "Aaaah stop it, Manik!!", she yelled.

He put her down and as soon as her feet touched the floor, she sprinted to the bathroom throwing up the cupcake she'd had at the airport in the pot.

Manik who'd followed her closely stood in front of her as she sat at the edge of the tub, breathing heavily and eyes closed, exhausted by the task of chucking up. His towel was wrapped around her torso from the back. It was a bath towel and didn't help covering her portruding tummy.

"You're so beautiful.", he said smiling subtly. She opened her eyes and rolled them at him shaking her head and walked to the basin to wash her face.

She was busy splashing water on her face when she felt two hands gathering her hair and holding them at the nape of her neck and a soft kiss on the side of her head as he said, "I'm sorry, I should've been more careful."

She looked at him through the mirror to find him looking back at her with apologetic eyes. She knew that look. It was the most common look he would give at her when they were FaceTiming and she was sharing about her morning sicknesses and everything... as though he was guilty of not being able to be with her during the downs.

"Fuck off, idiot! It's not your fault.", she laughed turning back at him. Her belly came in between as a barrier being sandwiched by him and the basin and she couldn't turn at him fully. She pouted making him chuckle before gathering her frame up in a bridal style and carrying her to the bed.

Making her sit, he fished out one of his softest tshirts and made her wear it. She sat silently watching him dabbing the towel on her wet face and drying her hair, placing the pillows under her head, ensuring that she was comfortable. And informed he'd get freshened up while covering her up till the lower half and left returning her a small smile.