Chap 1: Knowing Manik

31st May 2018

The best day of his life..

The day he finally got his commission after long bone breaking training of 3 years.

That day, a man at his late 50s & almost at the age of retirement, Rear Admiral Anant Murthy had said, "You've made me really proud today son! I have firm belief that you surely have a bright future ahead. I feel you are one of those hundreds officers who could make Indian Navy proud one day!"

All the while this new & dedicated officer had a genuine smile adorning his handsome face. And that smile turned into a bigger curve when Rear Admiral Murthy mentioned his father, Late. Commodore Malhotra, who was a proud martyr of Indian Navy... and said, "Your father might be the proudest today!!"

Rear Admiral Murthy was one of the closest allies of Commodore Malhotra. After his father, Rear Admiral Murthy was his idol, the person he always looks up to. Whereas, for Rear Admiral Murthy, he was no less than his own son.

Rear Admiral Murthy was always worried about this silent & introvert guy standing in front of him. Though he loves this guy immensely, but could never succeed in filling the vacant space which was created when this guy lost his father, his friend, his mentor, in a word, his everything.. when he was just 20. Mr. Murthy couldn't bring this young guy out of the shell of a mature man he had created around himself. But he always believed that, one-day he will let this strong wall break around him in front of someone.. someone who would manage to reserve that special place in his heart that he never gave to anyone.

Seeing him smiling brightly, Rear Admiral Murthy patted his head saying, "Stay like this forever. God bless you my son!!"

Even though 2 years has already passed after that day, but it's still fresh in this Lieutenant Manik Malhotra's mind , who was now getting ready for yet another day of serving Indian Navy. His confidence & pride automatically rises high when he gets into that pure white uniform, white cap with the logo of Indian Navy & white shoes.

Manik is one of the favorites of his seniors for his spirit, confidence & loyalty towards Navy. And this attracts envy towards him from his coursemates. They think Manik was favoured as a cadet & now as an officer too, for being the son of Late Commodore Malhotra & being close to Rear Admiral Murthy. Manik hardly pays attention to what people think about him, he is better with the people close to him & doesn't need anyone else in his life.

Manik hardly opens up to anyone, being a big time introvert. And if he ever does, then that person is surely one of the few people who has a place in his heart.. and by this very few, it meant VERY few.. which includes Mr & Mrs Murthy, his childhood freind & also his fellow coursemate, Lieutenant Cabir Murthy & his late parents ofcourse. These are the only people whom he would never let down knowingly or unknowingly.. people whom he would treasure for a lifetime.