Chapter Thirty: Supergirl

The sun had set over Gotham City. Rain drizzled down. I stood at the top of Wayne Tower, looking over the lit-up skyline. In less than a day, we'd leave this place. And I'd leave National City. To hunt down a megalomaniac. The same one that destroyed Krypton. The one that destroyed my home. I could feel a pit in my stomach. I took in a deep breath, hoping it would fade away on its own.

Suddenly, I heard a soft woosh. I looked over to see Mary in her red Mary Marvel fly up to me. Her brown eyes looked into mine. "You okay, Kara?" She landed in front of me. "You've been kinda...skittish lately."

I shrugged. "I guess."

"You know," Mary said, "I get why you're feeling this way."

I looked up at her.

"At least a little bit," she added. She let out a sigh before sitting down beside me.

"You know what it's like to look the being that basically committed genocide on your people right in the eye?"

She scratched at her peach-colored neck. "I actually didn't mean that part. Though I guess Black Adam comes pretty close to that when it comes to the..Marvel fam?"

I nodded. Our allies called them the Shazamily, since the group of foster kids: Billy, Freddy, Darla, Eugene, Pedro, and Mary, all lived together in a foster home. Once Billy got his powers, the others quickly followed.

"It's a bit more complicated than that," Mary replied, "but I know what it's like to be up against something intimidating."

A small chuckle escaped me. "Black Adam?"

She laughed lightly. "Hit the nail on the head." She sighed. "Look Kara, I know this is your first big enemy. And I know that. I was so scared to go up against Black Adam, but my foster siblings reminded me that I wasn't alone in that fight. I don't think I would've been able to defeat him on my own. It's the same here, too. You got us. We're not gonna hang you out to dry."

I gave Mary a small smile. "Thank you."

Jeremiah's car wasn't out front when I flew back home. I landed where his car would be. I looked inside. Only one light was on. I could feel my gut turn as I walked inside. In the living room, Eliza sat on a chair, reading. I walked over to her.

She looked up at me. "Were you out patrolling National City tonight?"

I shrugged. "Something like that."

She nodded.

"Where's Jeremiah?"

Eliza shut her eyes for a moment and sighed. She closed her book before putting it on the coffee table in front of her. She looked up at me. "Jeremiah went to the hospital."

"He...he isn't sick with the disease...is he?"

She gave me a frown. "We aren't sure, but from what Jeremiah told me, he's showing signs of it."

I blinked a couple times as this new information sunk in. But Jeremiah's healthy. There's no way he could be sick with it. "They must've misdiagnosed him," I said.

Eliza shook her head. "I don't know. National City Hospital has the best doctors in the area. I don't really think they would misdiagnose him, Kara."

I could feel my heart sink. "Shouldn't you at least be with him?"

She sighed. "Once I get the call from Jeremiah saying that he's been through his check-ins with the doctors."

"I should come, too."

"The hospital won't allow more than one visitor, Kara," she replied, "they don't want too many people in the hospital when it's not necessary."