Chapter Nineteen: Batgirl

I stood on the roof of the library of Gotham State on the campus's quad as the sun started to set, casting a pastel orange onto the sky. I looked down at my phone. 5:56 pm. Jesse Quick would be here soon.

Suddenly, there was a blue light. I turned to see a breach. Vibe exited out before it blinked out of existence. He looked to me and smiled lightly. "You come around here often?"

A smile appeared on my face. "Well, I do live in Gotham and I'm in college, so yes, I do 'come around here often'." I couldn't help but chuckle lightly. "Wait, where did you come from?" I asked.

"Just helped our girl Wonder Woman with this pod thingy."

I chuckled. "Pod thingy?"

"Hey, it was alien, and that kind of stuff is hard to describe."

I shrugged. "I guess." I thought for a second. "How did you find me?"

"Vibers have the ability to know where people and things are," Vibe answered, "the psychic link of natural energies come with being my kind of metahuman. I knew you were in Gotham and since Gotham's a bit...rough, I figured you could use a hand."

I rose an eyebrow.

Vibe quickly noticed this. "Teamwork makes the dream work, you know."

I smiled as I knitted by eyebrows together. "So, let me get this straight: metas like you are called 'vibers' and your name is 'Vibe'?"

"It's straight-to-the-point," he claimed.

"And a little bit too much on the nose." I smiled a bit.

"Damn, Batgirl," Vibe teased, "not like you're a hero that's dressed up as a bat and goes by 'Batgirl'."

I smirked. "Touché."

Vibe walked over to me. "Anything crazy happen yet?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you that I wasn't looking for it right now," I responded, "I'm actually waiting for someone, so I'm not really looking right now. That being said, Gotham's been unreasonably quiet lately." I chuckled. "For once, I can breathe."

"Is that how you became Batgirl?"

"What do you mean?"

"Was the crime and injustice the inspiration behind Batgirl," Vibe asked, "or is there more to your origin story?"

"Origin story?"

"How you came to be the hero you are today," Vibe said.

"You want the short story or the long one?"

"Which version tells your story best?" Vibe asked.

"Long story-short: Batman," I answered, "but long story-long, I was a freshman in high school curious about the vigilante who had been protecting Gotham for as long as I had known. I had been curious before, but it wasn't until then could I actually get the chance to learn more about him myself. So, my brother and I went to the Gotham City Police Department to do more research on him. Through it, the GCPD discovered a makeshift suit that Batman had when he was first around in Gotham. Then, a riot broke out and my brother was held hostage. In order to save him, I took the suit and wore it in order to protect my brother. From there on out, I realized that Batman couldn't be alone protecting Gotham. Even all the Robins he had could only do so much, and so, I came in. Batman noticed my work, took me in to train, and it went from there. That's how I became Batgirl."

Vibe's eyebrows raised over his goggles. "That is quite the origin story." He chuckled. "For once, it's not to avenge a dead family member or something."