Chapter Thirty-Four: Batgirl

My heart sank as Jesse collapsed to the ground. A pit formed in my stomach. "JESSE!" I shouted.

The spectators made sounds that I could barely distinguish. Roulette snickered over the jumbotron. "Who placed their bets on an interception?" She laughed at her sick joke.

I closed my eyes. The day when I met up with Jesse played through my head again. I could see her speeding through Gotham's streets. I remember feeling a sense of relief rush through me when she intercepted between Golden Glider and I. "Going after me is one thing," Jesse had said to her during that fight, "but going after other heroes is another."

I opened my eyes and glanced back down. From the other side of the arena, I could see the others from the team were just as stunned. Black Canary ran to the glass on her end. It was only a few seconds before she let out her canary cry, but I barely registered that it happened. Suddenly, the glass walls of the arena shattered. I could make out the others rushing out from my side with my peripheral vision. They flooded out into the arena. "Everyone, move out!" Wonder Woman ordered, but it sounded so far away. I could see most of the team running from the arena and out into the crowd. I trembled as I made my way out into the arena.

By the time I got to Jesse, Vibe and Harley were already there. It seemed like whatever had drugged up Harley before had run its course since she seemed a bit calmer. On a closer look, I swore I could see tears in her eyes. I looked down at Jesse. My eyes widened at the sight. Her dirty-blinde ponytail seemed to fan out on the ground. Her eyes were glossy as she looked up at me. The red shirt of her uniform was punctured from the arrow. Thick, crimson blood poured out of her abdomen. Both of the corners of her mouth. I knelt down. "Jesse!"

She gave me a weak smile. "Hey Babs." Her mouth started to fill with dark, thick blood.

I blinked a couple times, attempting to take this all in. My body was still trembling. I could feel my heart racing. "Oh my God." I turned to face Vibe. "Get a breach made to the nearest hospital," I commanded, "now!"

Jesse's arm shot up, her palm facing me. "No." She placed her arm back down.

I looked back down at her and furrowed my eyebrows. "No? What...what do you mean 'no'?"

"I'm not gonna make it. I...I can only heal so fast. Especially when the...when the arrow's blocking it. And...I'd be dead on arrival."

Harley knelt down. "I'll get it."

"Harley, no!" Vibe shouted.

By then, though, she had already yanked the arrow out of the puncture, More dark blood erupted out of Jesse's chest.

Tears sprang from Jesse's eyes. "I can only regenerate my health when...when there isn't a significant loss of blood, either." Her lips quivered. "And I...I think Huntress struck an artery." She let out a shaky sigh.

Harley's eyes were wide. They had a glossy look to them. "But...but," she stammered, "but I got the arrow outta ya! You should be able ta be back on yer feet in no time!"

Jesse gave Harley a small smile. "Oh Harley..." A tear fell from the corner of her eye. "Never let your spirit die. Promise me that, okay?" Another tear escaped her other eye. "Because...despite...despite what Huntress has said to countless times, your spirit is the kind of spirit our team needs. One that's filled with hope like a kid's. One that doesn't give up. One that stays strong even when battered time and time again. Never...never let that die."

Harley blinked. A tear streamed down her pale cheek. "Speedy, ya can't give up! Not on us."

"I'm not giving up, Harley," she responded, "it's just...it's just my time." She turned to look at me. The blood coming from the corners of her mouth pooled on the floor beneath her. "Batgirl...Babs."