Chapter Forty-Two: Supergirl

My senses faded back into my mind: the fabric that grazed my fingers, the soft beeping in the background. As I slowly regained my consciousness, I could feel something holding one of my hands. Suddenly, my head started to throb.

I blinked my eyes to see Mon-El looking right at me. He had a small smile on his face. "Welcome back, Kara," he murmured.

"How...how long was I out?"

"A few days." His thumb caressed the back of my hand. "Caitlin has been monitoring you nonstop."

I looked past Mon-El to look for Caitlin, but wasn't there. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Where...where is she?"

Suddenly, I heard footsteps heading toward the medbay. I turned my head to see Caitlin coming in, with Babs and Cisco close behind her. Babs's eyes lit up when she looked over at me.  "Kara!"

I sat up as she ran over. She wrapped her arms around me and I hugged back.

"You fucking scared me back there."

I chuckled lightly. "Didn't mean to freak you out." Suddenly, I felt a pit form in my stomach as a memory flashed in my head: Courtney's punctured chest, Mary's limp body, the arrow flying into Jesse's abdomen. My body started to shake lightly as I let go of the hug.

"Kara?" Babs asked. Her voice had a pitch of concern to it.

A deep sigh escaped my lips. "I...I couldn't save them." At that moment, I could feel my eyes starting to tear up. I closed my eyes, trying not to let them out, only to let a tear escape and roll down my cheek.

Cisco furrowed his eyebrows. "Save who?"

I opened my mouth slightly, but I couldn't find the words to say. I shook my head. I opened my eyes again only to see that my vision was blurred. I could feel the soft pad of Mon-El's thumb wipe my oncoming tears away. After a moment, I pushed out the words. "I...I let them down."

Babs's eyes softened, as if she knew what I was referring to. She sat down beside me on the bed. She hugged me tightly. "Kara, that isn't true. You didn't let anyone down."

"You saved the freaking world!" Cisco chimed in.

"He's right," Caitlin replied, "you incapacitated Brainiac according to Diana, therefore stopping any further damage; any more deaths."

I took a deep breath and deeply exhaled. I looked back at her, trying my hardest to hide my tears. "When can I leave?"

She gave me a small frown. "Not for a couple days. We need to make sure you're in a stable condition."

I closed my eyes. My lips pursed shut. I could feel my teeth gritting against each other. I shouldn't be here.

"I'll keep her company," Mon-El interjected, though no one had asked him to stay behind.

My eyes opened again. I looked at him.

"You're more than welcome to," Caitlin responded, "though when I do vital checks, I'll have to ask you to leave the medbay for a bit."

"Of course."

I could feel the tiniest of smiles draw on my face. Even when the world was a hot mess, he was one of the few things that stayed steady. Before I knew it, I could feel my palm against the back of his soft hand.

The two days had passed in a blur. Being virtually bedridden made it feel as though the days were just longer hours. Mon-El rarely left my side, only when Caitlin was checking vitals and using the bathroom. There wasn't much talking, only updates on the team, specifically how Kate and Diana were using Brainiac's ship to reverse the bottling process. Star City was one of the first cities to be brought back. The others had mostly gone back to their homes: Dinah reunited with Oliver Queen in Star City; Babs, Kate, and Harley back in Gotham; Mari heading to New York City; and Zatanna travelling around the country. Yet here I was, stuck in the Batcave's medbay.