Chapter Fifteen: Supergirl

The sun shone down as I flew over Blue Valley. The town was so small from what I could make out from all the way up here. Small and rural. These flatlands reminded me of the times I visited Martha and Jonathan back in Smallville for the holidays. I remember how we'd meet up at the Kent farm. Kal and Lois would be there. They'd tell stories about Kal fighting some enemy in Metropolis, whether it was Lex, Metallo, or even Bizarro. Out of all of the rogues Kal fought, there is one I will never forget.

We sat down at the dining room table at the Kent home, with Jonathan and Martha at one end and Kal, Lois, and I at the other. Snow was gently falling outside of the home. They had put up a tree not too far away from the dining room with beautiful ornaments hanging from its branches. Martha placed a full turkey on the center of the table with bowls of mashed potatoes, stuffing, and corn near it. It was only a matter of moments before we all dug in.

"I heard Superman's been dealing with a rogue in Metropolis yet again," Jonathan said as he ate some of the mashed potatoes.

Lois chuckled. "Yeah, Smallville here is never gonna catch a break."

Kal chuckled lightly. "Well, this one was no Lex."

Martha nodded. "Something about an alien-robot. Brainy-something or other."

Kal nodded. "Brainiac."

I sat up. "Brainiac?"

"An organic android from the planet Colu," Kal explained.

"Why was he here?" I asked.

"He collects worlds in an attempt to gain knowledge."

I rose an eyebrow.

Lois noticed this. "Yeah, I know. Ridiculous way to get smarter, huh?"

"Extreme, too."

"Many of us believe he was the one responsible for Krypton's destruction."

My eyes widened at this. "Brainiac? Destroying Krypton?"

Kal nodded.

"I thought Krypton was destroyed because we over-mined our resources."

"If only it were that simple."

"How did Brainiac destroy Krypton?" I asked, "if he's actually responsible."

"He was able to collect parts of Krypton. Namely Kandor."

"What about Argo City?"

Kal sighed. "That's when he started having problems. Argo wasn't going to have any of it, and made sure their troops would fight against him. It ended up creating a war between Brainiac and the Kryptonians."

"But we still lost?"

"The loss was big enough to destroy Krypton," Kal answered, "but did not get taken like Kandor was."

I shook my head. "No, it can't be. I would've known."

"Uncle Zor wouldn't have let you witness it. How old were you? Fourteen?"

"Twelve," I answered.

"Even more of the reason why he wanted to shield you from it.

"Father wouldn't have," I replied.

"He only wanted to keep you safe, Kara."

My hand holding the fork balled into a fist. "You never knew my father like I did!"

Lois looked down at my hand. Her brown eyes widened.

I looked down at my hand to see that I had snapped the metal fork in half. My eyes widened at the sight. I dropped the fork to the table's surface before I stood up from my chair. With that, I stormed out of the dining room.