13. Kyla

Chapter 13: Kyla

Ellie's POV

*****

I stood there awkwardly as Blake and the girl standing in his doorway were in a heated exchange. It was clear that Blake was shocked to see her there, but what seemed to annoy him the most was that I was there to see her. 

"Ellie, I think you should go. I can play you that song another day," Blake coldly said as he turned to look at me before turning back to glare at the girl, whose eyes seemed to be brimming with tears at his words. 

"Seriously Blake? You keep on hiding me? Seriously? You a-always do this. You keep hiding me from all of your friends." She was waving her hand in front of his face angrily, but was avoiding eye contact from both Blake and I, and despite her words made it seem as if she were in pain, her face didn't give anything away. She was blank. 

Blake looked down at the ground, unable to look at either one of us. He sighed as he put his hands in his back pockets, licking his lips before turning to look at me, then back at the girl. 

"Kyla, this is Ellie, she's the new lead guitarist in my band. Ellie, this is Kyla, she's my sister," Blake mumbled, making my eyes widening at what he said. 

Blake had never talked about having a sister before, and Dylan and Adam never mentioned her either. From her words it seemed as if they didn't even know about her, but even the thought of Blake's best friends not knowing that he had a sister seemed preposterous to me. It was evident from his face that he didn't want to be introducing us at all, and I found myself questioning why he was trying so hard to hide her from me. Blake and I were starting to become close friends, and the fact that he didn't want me to meet his sister hurt me. 

"Pleasure to meet you," I said after a moment of awkward silence, outreaching my hand for her to shake with a polite smile on my face. 

She looked at me then dropped her gaze to my hand, staring at it as if she didn't know what to do with it. I slowly let my hand drop as she dropped her gaze to the floor, clearly seeming like she didn't want to shake my hand. I looked at Blake, who at that point was also staring at the floor, shifting from foot to foot as he seemed to be thinking profoundly of something. 

"Shall we go inside?" He finally asked, looking at me, a distant look in his eyes. I nodded my head, suddenly starting to feel very uncomfortable with the tense atmosphere that had surrounded us. 

Kyla also nodded before moving to the side, letting us enter the house. Blake's house was very big and modern. My house was certainly not a small one, but it had more of a rustic look to it when compared to Blake's. The entryway was wide, and the white walls along with the light grey flooring made it look more spacious than it actually was. 

I followed him to the living room, which had two 'L' shaped black couches surrounding a light brown coffee table, a big screen TV placed right on top of a wide, rectangular aquarium filled with different coloured fish. 

"Have a seat. I'll go get my guitar from my room and meet you back down here," Blake said, his tone a bit softer than it had been since we saw his sister. 

I nodded my head in understanding, awkwardly sitting on one of the sofas, my fingers nervously drumming on my knees. Sensing that I was being looked at, I looked up to notice Kyla, whose gaze was focused on the way my fingers were moving. She had a distant look on her face, as if she was there, but not actually there. 

As if realising that I was looking at Kyla, Blake cleared his throat and slowly asked her to follow him up the stairs, saying that he wanted to have a word with her. She looked up at him, nodding at his words as she gnawed on her bottom lip. It was evident just by looking at her that she was a quiet person, who was also not very social. That much was evident by the fact that she avoided shaking my hand when we were introduced, as well as the fact that she made it a point to avoid eye contact at all costs. Something about her was captivating, and I found myself wanting to learn more about her.