30. The sooner the better

Chapter 30: The sooner the better

Ellie's POV

*****

Barely any time had passed since the previous Friday, yet everything felt like it had changed as I stepped foot in school the next Monday. As I saw other students bustling about, I could not help but think about how everything probably was the same to them. For me, things were far from normal. 

In the span of three days I had an interview with one of the most popular talk shows in town, and people made couple videos of Blake and I. I went out with Luke, only to later find out he was gay. Blake and I kissed and decided to be a secret couple, hours before James hit me with the fake boyfriend bomb. Adam and Dylan got to meet Kyla, and Kyla was starting school with us that day. 

The more I thought about it, the more hilarious everything seemed. I could not remember when my life had turned into some Netflix chick flick, or a Spanish telenovela. One thing was for certain, there was never a dull moment in my life. 

A smile formed on my face as I found Blake waiting for me next to my locker, completely lost in whatever was on his phone. 

"Where's Kyla?" I asked him as I stopped beside him. 

"Oh, hey Ellie, yeah, good to see you too," he sarcastically said, making me roll my eyes at him as I opened my locker. "Mom and Kyla are talking to the principal."

I nodded, unsure as to why I was even feeling so nervous. I wanted Kyla to have the best first day of school ever. It was probably going to be hard for her going to class without knowing anybody. What made it worse was that I was not going to be having any classes with her. 

"Why do I get the feeling that you're more anxious about this than I am?" He asked, leaning against the locker next to mine. His current stance was extremely attractive, and I had to restrain myself from letting my eyes linger on him for too long. 

"I just want Kyla to be happy here," I replied as I closed my locker, still trying not to look at him. 

I was paranoid. I was afraid that if I looked at him for a moment too long, everybody would know everything that I felt for him. No matter how badly I tried to distract myself with other thoughts, I still could not get over the fact that I was going to have to get a fake boyfriend. From all the books I read and movies I watched, I knew that fake relationships never ended well. 

I also knew that I was going to be hurting Blake. Things between the two of us were good, but for how long? Was I supposed to ask him to be patient? That whole situation was messed up, and there was only one way out of it. But I didn't want to leave the band. 

"And she will be. My sister is a lot more than we ever made her out to be," he said. "It just took you to make me realise it."

He clipped my chin, raising my head up so that I look at him. I could see him scanning my face, trying to read any form of emotion. 

"She's just like any other person," I said, grabbing his wrist gently and moving his hand away from my face. "But better."

He nodded, even if I noticed a sudden hint of confusion flash through his eyes. 

"Hey, are we okay?" He whispered, making sure that nobody could hear our conversation. 

"Of course we are."

"Are you sure, because you've been avoiding my gaze for as long as I've been here."

I sighed, mentally reprimanding myself. The whole secret relationship thing was tough, but I knew that is was worth it as long as I got to be with him. That being said, I still had no idea how I was supposed to act with him when we were in public. It was as if I could feel everybody's gazes on the two of us, and I was not sure if it was actually happening or if it was all in my head.