36. Interesting experience

Chapter 36: Interesting experience

Ellie's POV

*****

I hated the feeling you get in the morning when you wake up all calm, then suddenly remembering all of the bad things happening in your life. Sleep had always been a means of escapism, but I hated that I would always have to relive the pain the moment I woke up. I wished that I could stay with the calm and peace you get the very second you wake up, but life did not work like that.

I couldn't even last a second awake without remembering what was going to be happening on that day. Going to rehearsal was always something that put me in a good mood. I was going to get to play with my friends, creating beautiful music. But not that day.

That day was the day which I knew was going to be changing everything. I didn't know if I was over exaggerating, but I knew that nothing good was possibly going to come out of James introducing me to the guy who was going to be my fake boyfriend.

My date with Blake was probably the most fun I had had in a really long time. He gave me an evening where I could forget everything that was troubling me, and where I could just be myself.

Where we could just be ourselves.

I got out of bed with a heavy heart and a lump in my throat and half-heartedly started getting ready. All I could think about was how Blake was probably feeling about all of that. It was going to be much harder for him than it was going to be for me. He was going to have to see me with somebody else. He was going to have to endure people thinking that I was with somebody else, nobody aware of the feelings which the two of us actually felt for one another.

My fake boyfriend and I were supposed to be seen together that same evening. I felt numb. I knew that there was nothing I could possibly do about it, and to make matters worse, I was not even going to have time to come to terms with it all before I had to go out with the guy.

I was never a person to go out with a guy I didn't know. I was constantly disappointed by Leah whenever she came to me to tell me about the cute guy that she kissed at a party that evening. And yet I was going to have to do a similar thing, all the while the guy I actually had feelings for looked from the sidelines.

It was not long before I found myself standing in front of Adam's garage. A part of me hoped that the others had not gotten there yet. I knew that the moment I stepped inside, I was going to be the centre of attention.

Much to my dismay, Adam, Dylan and Blake were all already there, all three of them unusually quiet. In normal circumstances, I would have walked into a chaotic conversation, where they were either tackling each other, screaming, or just laughing.

"Hey," I awkwardly said, trying to break the uncomfortable silence that they were in.

"How are you feeling?" Blake said as he noticed me, getting up from the chair he was sitting on and making his way to me.

"I should really be asking you that," I told him before he wrapped his arms around my neck.

I clutched him tightly, wrapping my arms around his torso as he snuggled his face in the crook of my neck, his grip on me tightening slightly. It was as if I could feel how scared he was by just that one hug. He didn't say anything, but he was saying a lot.

"I know," I whispered as I heard him sigh.

My heart was already breaking seeing him that way, and I knew that it could only get worse from there.