Twenty Four

XXIV: Swan Queen

THE SHARP SOUND OF THE CURTAIN HOOKS SCRAPPING AGAINST THE ROD was the only warning I had before I was blinded by the sun. "Time to wake, ladies!"

I flinched and sat up to cover my face with a pillow. Felicity groaned beside me stole my pillow to shield her own sensitive eyes. "Jesus Christ, Darcy. Whatever it is, couldn't this wait?"

"No," she said sitting on the bed. "Not when both my clients look like they've been dragged through Hell and back on the eve of an event."

"Hmm?" I mumbled. "What event?"

"I hope you're joking, Poppy! This is the kind of publicity we need to clear up your image."

I shrugged, "Could you give me a hint?"

Darcy frowned and stood to go into the en suite, only to come back with a glass full of ice cold water. Felicity and I helped when the water splashed on us and shivered.

"Good, you're up. Maybe now you'll remember why you hired me."

"What's the event?" I said in a soft voice.

Felicity jumped out of my bed and disappeared inside the en suite, but not before calling over her shoulder, "Hope you like the ballet."

"Oh!" I exclaimed, "I completely forgot about it. With everything going on, it slipped my mind."

"It's a good thing I already chose your dress and had it altered. The makeup team is on its way. I'm going for a Starbucks run. By the time I get back you better be bathed and ready to be prepped."

Darcy walked away but stopped at the doorway. "I almost forgot, Cole Richmond stopped by. Left a message downstairs."

I gave a nod and watched her leave. It turned out the message was two dozen long-stemmed roses the color of blood, and a card.

I'll see you at the theater tonight. That is, if you'll still allow me the pleasure of being your escort.
-C

My heart warmed at the sight of those beautiful roses. No one had ever given me flowers before, it seemed like something only wives get.

I sighed and placed the card back in its envelope. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't say no. I couldn't.

I LOOKED SAD. Staring at my reflection, my eyes taking in my hair in an elegant twist at the nape of my neck, and my face made up perfectly. I should be happy, ecstatic even. I looked beautiful, as delicate and lovely as the roses Cole gave me. But something did not look right. My eyeliner was winged just the right amount, my lipstick just the right shade of burgundy, my dress stunning and flowy, like an upside down rose, yet I looked sad. Miserable. And I couldn't hide it, no matter how big my smile was or how squared my shoulders were.

It was my eyes, my gentle mother's hazel eyes. I looked into the mirror and I saw her. Pained and weakened, defeated. My mother looked back at me, her lips smiling but her heart weeping.

"Miss Poppy?"

I looked away from myself and spotted Ingrid at the doorway. "Master Cole rang, seems he's stuck in the New Jersey traffic. He says he will meet you at the theater."

I nodded and took my clutch purse. Perhaps by the time Cole joined me, I would have snapped out of this funk.

I WAS HYPNOTIZED. The movements of the dancers, so fluid and graceful, held my attention, kept my eyes glued to the extension of their arms and the flick of a leg. Tchaikovsky's enchanting melody filled the theater as the prince danced to the lake, his eyes mesmerized by the beauty of the Swan Queen.

The Queen was so innocent and trusting, so loving. She gave herself completely to her prince, and he did so in return. By the end of their duet, I felt tears in my eyes. It was amazing, the prince and Odette's story. But I know how it ends.

I stood and clapped alongside everyone. It was a stunning performance, worth every cent Darcy had donated on my behalf.

The doors opened for a brief intermission, one I gladly took. Once I had used the restroom and pretended to freshen up amongst the other ladies, I wondered out into the foyer, my hands tracing the ornate railing of the grand staircase with my satin glove-clad hands.

Right below, my eyes spotted a young man, his eyes the color of an ice burg. He smiled at me, a smile so blinding it hurt to look at. He beckoned me to go to him, and cautiously I did. I descended the stairs a step at a time, my eyes never leaving his.

When I was a step away from the landing, Cole offered me his hand. "Hmmm I've always wanted to do that."

"How Titanic-esq of you," I said allowing him to lead me down.

"Sorry I missed the first half," he said piling me close and kissing my temple. "You look beautiful."

I gave him a small smile and looked away. He sighed, "Poppy, talk to me. I can't fix it if I don't know what I did."

I opened my mouth to say something when I heard a voice call behind me. "Cole Richmond at the ballet, what a sight!"

I turned and watched Gemma Hamilton strut forward, swaying her hips and flipping her hair. She pulled forward and gave Cole a kiss on the cheek. "Oh, who's this?"

Cole eyed me warily before stepping away from Gemma and holding me close. "Gemma, this is Poppy. My girlfriend."

"Oh my, how cute you are!" I grimaced as she pulled me into a barely-there hug and offered me her hand. "Gemma Hamilton, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise," I said stiffly. Her words were perfectly polite but her eyes told another tale. She was looking down at me like I was the dirt on the bottom of her Jimmy Choo heels.

"Cole darling, have you given much thought to what we talked about the other day?" I felt Cole stiffen beside me. Gemma noticed and smiled, showing a row of straight, pearly white teeth. "Tonight's all pleasure, don't worry. We'll discuss it later."

The way she said it, it was almost like she was rubbing it in my face. Like she was bragging about something. "Poppy, it was good seeing you. Perhaps maybe one day we can get a drink, do some shopping. I'll tell you every last one of your boyfriend's dirty little secrets."

I locked my jaw, and Gemma winked. With a wave she was gone, taking her size 2 arse back into the theater.

"Poppy," Cole began hesitantly. I pushed him away and picked up my skirt. "I can explain."

"Come," I said avoiding his eyes, "the second half is just about to start."

"Poppy, can't we at least talk about it?" I yanked my arm out of his hold and met his gaze.

"What's there to talk about?"

His eyes clouded with confusion, "Listen, about what Gemma said--"

"Hurry, intermission is over." I turned and walked up the stairs, Cole a step behind me. I took deep breaths as I found our seats, willing myself to hide my hurt.

I sat through the last half of the Swan Lake. I watched without seeing the prince declare his love to the wrong woman, I watched the evil sorcerer trick him, I watched Odette, the Queen of the Swans, die.

I watched without really seeing, without really hearing, without really feeling. I sat lifeless and extinguished beside my prince, waiting like the floating swan Odette for the moment that he will confess his love to his own Odile.

A/N: So Stealing the Groom had a lot of Gatsby references. It's my favorite novel, therefor I dedicated my story to it because I was inspired by Fitzgerald's words.
Sealed With a Kiss is inspired by my favorite ballet The Swan Lake. Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer, and my favorite piece of the ballet is above (as well as Poppy's dress).
All of the stories in the Wedding Party series will be heavily influenced by another person's work (but never copied). If you guys are fans of the ballet, comment your favorite.

Anyway, hope you liked this its a technicality Tuesday already (2 am). Till next time!