Twelve

XII: Pass the Salt, Pookie.

I FELT LIKE I'D BEEN RUN OVER BY A TRUCK...twice. My eyes felt crusty and sealed shut from my tears, my voice hoarse and raspy, my body sore, and my heart ached. 

This whole time, Cole knew what Olivia was doing. I could hardly believe how the sweet, caring man I went out with yesterday could have his will and morals twisted at the demand of his mother. I, at least, could never even think of turning a blind eye to the suffering of others let alone actually inflict pain on someone else. 

It was midday, and the phone has been ringing none stop. I had turned my cellphone off sometime around two in the morning, I couldn't stand to see Cole's plethora of text messages and calls. I had pulled the cable out of the phone jack and covered my ears with a pillow, but I could still hear the insistent ring of the telephone ricochet around the house. 

A knock at the door some time in the evening caused me to run into the en suite and quickly turn on the shower. I knew it was Ingrid coming with messages from Felicity or Cole, and probably some food too but I'm just not hungry. 

As I worked the shampoo into my hair, I thought of Felicity. She was truly a good friend. She tried talking to me after Cole left, but I sent her away. Felicity was currently hard at work with Darcy trying to find proof of Olivia's schemes. I wish they would stop. Knowing won't change anything. What's the worse we could do with that information--leak it to the press? 

I don't think I have it in me to hurt her even after all she's done. 

The bathroom smelled all of French vanilla by the time I wrapped a fluffy white towel around myself. Changing into an old t-shirt and raggedy old plaid pjs, I towel dried my hair and left it down in knots. With my face bare and my glasses on, I looked like myself. The real me, I mean, the one who's just a no-one student with a funny accent. The me before all this mess, the me before the makeup and fancy clothes.

Things were so much simpler then. My only worries were midterms and surviving the nightmare that was my boss at 89 Designs, And now, now I was a billionaire with more money than I could ever spend and feeling more uprooted than I have ever felt in my entire life. 

Turning away from the Poppy I once knew, I walked out into the room and froze when I saw a dark figure standing beside my desk. My scream caught in my throat and I ended up making a chocked noise, alerting the intruder. 

Cole turned to meet my gaze. My eyes flickered down to the picture in his hands. It was of Mina and I outside of the Mercer home on Christmas day. It was also the night we met.

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked down at my bare feet. "What are you doing here?"

"I had to see you. You're ignoring my calls."

"What is it that you think I should have done then, Cole?" I said snapping my head up to glare at him. "Pick up the phone and thank you for not telling me your mother--"

"Let me explain!" Cole said walking forward. I stepped back and flinched away from him when he reached for my arm. 

"No, stop. I don't want to hear you. I'm embarrassed and hurt and...and I want you to leave."

"You're going to have to hear me out eventually, Poppy." I looked at him and frowned.

"I don't have to do anything." I sighed. "Look I understand why you did it. She's your mum and your loyalties were put to the test. Fine, whatever. I just wish you hadn't pursued a relationship with me."

"It was one date."

I winced. Silence followed.

"Poppy, I didn't mean--"