Twenty Three

XXIII: Flaws

I'VE SAT UNMOVING NEXT TO COLE FOR THE PAST HOUR. Talking to Daniel and Marc, we've been playing a game of cat and mouse. And not the good kind either.

Cole reaches for me while I back away. When his arm managed to wrap around me and his fingers snuck under the hem of my top to touch my skin, I flinched and jumped to my feet.

Daniel and Marc eyed me expectantly. I realized that I interrupted Marc's story. "I uh, sorry. I'll just be a second."

I ran out of the room and locked myself in the restroom. Splashing cold water on my face, I leaned in close to the mirror to look at myself, really look.

I was scared. That's what I saw. I looked deep into my eyes and saw fear, fear of losing what I've always wanted: someone to love me. I've just gotten him, and now he felt like he was slipping between my fingers. And I'm petrified of being alone, of not being enough, because I'm no Gemma Hamilton. I could never compare.

A knock on the door made me jerk in surprise. I took a deep breath and pulled my lips into a small smile. The perfect face of a perfectly perfect girl. I was always good at that, hiding my misery. This is no different.

"Cole, sorry I'll be right out."

He took one look at me and frowned. Cole pushed himself into the bathroom and closed the door behind him. "What's going on?"

"Nothing. I'm just a bit feverish, nothing to--"

"Poppy," he said with a threatening look. "What's bothering you? And before you say nothing, you better reconsider. Because since we got back from California all you've done is avoid me."

I met his gaze and for a moment I felt angry. Not the type where you want to fight or hit someone. It was an eerie calm that overtook me. It was strange, almost empowering. I had the upper hand. He doesn't know I know I saw him with his ex.

In that moment, I felt strong. I wanted to know what he'd say, so I asked. "Who's Gemma Hamilton?"

His eyes widened ever so slightly, it was such a small movement that I would have missed it had I not been looking straight at him. "Gemma is an old friend. Why do you ask?"

My mouth flattened into a hard line. "A friend. Just a friend, then?"

"Well, we dated a while back. But it wasn't serious." I looked away from him, suddenly defeated.

"Okay." Stepping around him, I swung open the door and walked out.

"Poppy, wait." I ignored him and kept going.

"Daniel, Marc. Something's come up, you'll have to excuse me." I accepted Marc's kiss goodbye and Daniel's handshake.

"Poppy--" Cole said behind me. I threw open his front door but stilled when I noticed the little figure standing there, her nanny running behind her.

The little doll dressed in a pink leotard and tutu frowned up at me. Her big doe eyes swept over my face and blinked adorably. "Hey, you're not my brother."

My eyes widened when the little girl let out a squeal and ran as fast as her ballet slippers would carry her into Cole's arms.

"Phoebe," Marc said smiling at that little bundle of joy. "let your poor brother breath!"

"Who's the lady?" Phoebe asked in what she thought was a whisper. Marc stood and took Phoebe from Cole.

"Princess, what did we teach you?"

"Manners daddy. Sorry." Phoebe jumped out of Marc's grasp and ran towards me. I knelt down to her hight and my heart warmed at the beautiful teething girl. "Hi, I'm Phoebe Buchanan. I have two daddies."