Eight

VIII: Betrayal

THE LIGHT COMING IN FROM THE WINDOW WAS BLINDING. It was funny because in my room there was only a pair of French doors leading out to a balcony that I always kept covered. Maybe I forgot to draw the curtains before going to bed.

My eyelids blinked open, my vision blurry, and saw a row of panels beside the bed letting in floods of sunshine.

Wait a minute...

I gasped and sprang up clutching the sheets to my chest. Crap, please let me be dressed, please let me be dressed!

I took a deep breath and peaked under the sheets. My pale legs were bare against the soft Egyptian sheets, but I was clothed....in a lacrosse tee but clothed all the same.

A sickening feeling crept into my tummy. Goodness, I haven't had a one night stand since Freshman year in NYU. Uni is where I discovered I have an extremely low tolerance to alcohol, weed makes me giddy, and I snore when I'm hungover.

Okay, remain calm. Just get up and get dressed. Pray that you were smart enough (or sober enough) to use protection and go to a clinic first thing tomorrow morning. No biggie! Yeah no. I was having hysterics sitting alone in a king sized bed with onyx black sheets wrapped me.

I stood on shaky legs and searched for my clothes. My dress from last night had been carelessly thrown on the floor beside the wardrobe and I quickly dashed over to pick it up. Placing it on the bed beside me, I busied myself with lifting the jersey over my head.

To my relief, I still had on the lacy black panties from last night. My chest was bare, however, since the dress didn't really allow for a bra.

Just as I was about to reach for my dress, the door opened and I let out an embarrassing shriek, "Naked!"

Cole smirked at me, his eyes taking in my blush as I clutched the jersey to myself. "Morning."

"Uh I'm kind of naked here...so if you could just...not be here that'd be great."

He rolled his eyes, "Nothing I haven't seen before."

My grip tightened on the jersey. "Cole, I'm very  embarrassed and still very naked over here."

His eyes took in the deep blush that painted my cheeks  and neck an unflattering pink. "I've noticed."

I huffed. "Are you really not leaving?" When he didn't answer and simply leaned against the door jam I picked up my dress and turned around. Stepping into the black dress, I inched it up my legs and past my round hips.

Annoyed because I could feel his gaze on me and even more pissed off because I kind of liked it, I pushed my arms through the sleeves.

"Here, let me." I froze when I heard him walk forward. His hands swept my tangled hair over my shoulder and teasingly trailed down my spine. His fingers clutched the zipper and ever so slowly eased it up.

I turned and met his gaze. "Thanks."

"Sure."

It was quiet for a moment. "So um I should go."

Cole bit down on his lip trying to hold back a laugh. "What's so funny?"

"Your hair. You can't go out like that."

I groaned. As a red head, my hair was almost always nappy and frizzy. Especially in the morning. "Well it's not like the tabloids don't already think we're sleeping together."

"But we're not."

My eyebrows shot up. "B-but I was just in your bed...and I can't remember a thing."