Twenty One

A/N: A more serious than usual author's note at the end. Please do take a moment to read it.

XXI: Reality Hurts

FELICITY'S HOUR WAS ALMOST OVER. Her lunch hour, that is.

After lunch in which I painfully watched Felicity eat a salad with no dressing, the cheque was paid. "Hey I have to go to the ladies' room. We can leave after."

"Oh, I'll go with you." I said about to stand.

"Don't get up, I'll just be a second!" I gave her a funny look but didn't protest.

I sat there lounging, enjoying my view of Manhattan from my table. Looking of into the street, I saw a town car slow to the curb and a familiar figure step out.

I ducked and covered my face with a menu as Olivia Richmond-Prescott walked toward the entrance of the restaurant. Curiosity got the best of me and I stood to follow her inside.

As stealthily as I could manage, I shadowed her towards a secluded part of the restaurant. My eyes grew twice in size when I spotted Cole and a tall bombshell stand to greet Olivia.

I hid behind a potted plant, watching them sit and chat through narrowed eyes. Specifically at the woman currently sitting next to Cole, playfully swatting his arm. Would you look at her boobs? They were twice the size of mine, the president of the Itty Bitty Titty Gang! Her waist was enviously small, making me regret eating all that pasta earlier. She was flawless, airbrushed and groomed to a near inch of perfection. Meanwhile here I stood, oblivious to any of them, in jeans, bare of makeup, and my hair in my usual braid.

A heavy pit in the bottom of my stomach gave me a sickening feeling, and it wasn't that fettuccine.

Why was he with her?

The woman stood and excused herself. I yelped and jumped away from my hiding spot. She walked right past me pretending to talk on my phone facing the frames on the wall.

As soon as the coast was clear, I dropped my hand holding my phone and inched closer to their table.

"--I'm done, mother. What about that do you not understand?" Cole said leaning forward glaring at him mum.

Olivia looked like she was trying hard to keep up her composure. "Cole, you aren't thinking straight. Clearly you're just speaking out of anger. Yes, I made a mistake seeking out Doyle, but you can't just--"

"What are you doing?" Felicity said coming up beside me. I jumped a foot in the air and smacked her.

"Don't do that! You scared the bejesus out of me."

"Why are we whispering. And what are you looking at?"

"Shhh!" I said looking back at the table.

"Are you seriously spying on--"

"Shhhh!" Felicity rolled her eyes but crouched down beside me anyway.

Cole glared at his mother. "This isn't a discussion. I'm warning you, mom. Leave it alone."

We watched him stand and meet up with the bombshell from before. Together they walked out of the restaurant.

I turned to Felicity with wide eyes and my mouth covered, holding sobs back. "W-Who is she?"

Felicity frowned and pulled me out of the restaurant. She hailed a cab but I pushed her hands away. "Who is she? I know you know."

Felicity sighed, "Her name is Gemma Hamilton...Cole's ex."