Three

III: Trend Setter

AS SOON AS I COULD, I BEGAN TO RESEARCH. My hunt for a worthy cost to donate some of Mina's money to was a hard task, and one that provided me with a reason to hide from the greedy paparazzi and equally curious neighbors.

They were all dying to get the inside scoop on my side of the story, but I couldn't be bothered to wash my hair let alone speak to anyone besides Ingrid or Mathew and that's just because we all live in the same house.

I was still mourning Mina's death, and added to that all the depressing rumors buzzing about in Manhattan's gossip columns, I was less than ready to brace the world.

Remy rang a couple times to check up on me, and while I appreciate the concern I don't feel much like engaging in chipper chatter. She understood though, and would always bid me goodbye at the end of each phone call to let me know she was here for me whenever I needed it. 

I felt alone. I suppose I had Ingrid and Mathew and Remy, but Mina was gone and no one could ever fill that void. She was such a beautiful human being. It's quite hard to wrap my mind around the fact that she was related to people like Olivia Richmond-Prescott. Mina was loving, and caring, and...that's it!

I sprung up in bed and ran to my computer lying on my desk. Frantically typing, I smiled when I finished and read the words in front of me:

The Wilhemina Richmond Foundation.

Why hadn't I thought of it before?

Reaching for the phone, I impatiently sat fidgeting as it rang before Remy's voice filled the speaker. "Remington West."

"Remy! Have you got an opening for lunch today? I'd love to run an idea through you over some grub."

"Sure, I'm so glad to hear your cheerful voice again. I'll meet you at Ruby's in an hour okay?"

We hung up and I made a dash for the en suite. After having a quick shower and braiding back my wet, Auburn hair, I slipped my legs into a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and a shortsleeve, grey V-neck. Finally with my trusty plimsolls and a jade green scarf wrapped around my neck, I strolled out of my bedroom looking about as human as I could have managed in such a short time-frame. 

"Are you heading out, Miss Poppy?" Ingrid asked with a smile. I nodded, having given up on convincing her not to call me 'Miss,' and waved goodbye and shut the door behind me. 

There was no flashing photographers outside, not since Mathew called the police and had them escorted out. I felt much relief when the strange men had left the property, and as far as I knew, hadn't returned.

On my journey to Ruby's, I felt as if I were being watched but ignored the silly feeling. I was just probably being paranoid. Probably since I've been practically hibernating in the townhouse since the trial ended.

When I arrived at the diner, I spotted Remy right away. She was sitting in the back in a booth with her phone in her face, probably going through emails. "Hello," I said as I slid into the seat across from her. 

"Pops, you have to see this." Remy turned her phone around, and my eyes very nearly popped out of my head. It was an article in an online magazine called 'Spotted', and right there was a picture of me walking out of the penthouse. The headline read 'You can't hide forever.' 

I ripped the phone out of Remy's hands as I scanned the article, my eyes reading the words but my brain not understanding them

        Spotted: Manhattan's newest billionaire heiress. 

Poppy White has been in hiding for the past few weeks, but no worries, Spotted waited her out. Finally emerging from her new-to-her multi million dollar townhouse, Poppy took a trip out of Manhattan dressed in jeans and white plimsolls. Spotted's fashion gurus are eating up Poppy's fresh, girl-next-door swag,  and we anticipate a new coming trend in the Upper East side for messy french-braids and casual jade green scarfs. What do you guys think, would you rock the Simply Poppy look this summer, or opt out for a bolder, sexier one instead?

I checked the updated time and gasped. This article was published ten minutes ago and already there were thousands of comments and retweets. "I think I'm going to be sick," I told Remy with a frown. 

"Why, this is incredible! It's actually kind of silly, you a trend setter? I guess if Manhattan wants an unlimited supply of flats and cardigans then you'll be a huge hit." I rolled my eyes at her and nervously bit my lip. 

"I'm serious, Remy. This was taken right now. Wouldn't you feel bothered by this?" 

"Look Pops, you're absolutely beautiful so get used to the camera following you from here on out. Just have fun with this okay? It can't hurt to be in the limelight, especially since the press will never find dirt on you that doesn't exist. You're about as clean-cut as they come. Now come on, let's order. I'm starved."

"Okay," I said reaching for a menu. A waitress came over and once we placed our order, we sat back and relaxed into the routine of catching up. The food soon arived and I dove into my burger and fries eagerly.

One of the best things about America is its lovely family owned diners. The moment Remy brought me here I fell in love with the burgers and refused to eat another from any place that wasn't Ruby's.

A moment later Remy's phone dinged and with a raised eyebrow she unlocked her phone and stiffled a laugh. 

"I think you just made eating carbs fashionable." 

"What?"I said as I took her phone. My eyes widened in horror as a picture of me eating fries and laughing stared back at me with the headline of 'Heiresses Eat Fries' at the top. 

Oh geez.

***

After I'd gotten over the initial shock of having my face plastered on an online gossip column (twice) I told Remy of my idea to start a charity under Mina's name. She thought it was a fabulous idea and referred me to a good lawyer that could take care of the logistics.  

Also on my calling list was an event planner because Remy thought a charity gala would be just the excitement that would attract patrons and board members. 

With my new project in full swing for the next couple of weeks, I barely paid attention to the frenzie on the internet over the 'mysterious new heiress'. But it was only a matter of time before it all blew up in my face.