Nineteen

A/N: Kay first of all, Taylor Swift wore Poppy's dress to the VS fashion show after party. I gotta say, she really killed my dress and not in a good way. Sorry T-Swift fans, I can't stand her. The only redeeming quality of the show is that Hozier performed (even though it was a strange combination) and Ed Sheeran of course.

XIX: Dream a Little Dream

HIS VOICE SWEPT OVER ME LIKE A CARESS, light and feathery. It reached me, eliciting shivers down my spine as if he'd touched me, cascading a heavy feeling over over my heart like a blanket.

His palm touched my lower back and gently angled my body to whisper in my ear. "Can we talk?"

I blinked and breathed to get myself thinking clearly. "I don't think so. I'm a little busy right now."

Cole looked over at our small audience and took a step back. "Russo, good to see you." They shook hands and pleasantries before he looked at Felicity and his face softened.

"Fel, I heard what happened. Are you okay?" Felicity rolled her eyes but there was something very fragile about her expression. I think Cole saw it too because he frowned and pulled her into a hug. "I'll go see you when this trip is over. Let me know if there's anything I can do."

Felicity nodded, and clearing her throat, she playfully pushed him away. "Cole you sap. I'm fine. I always am."

He didn't look convinced. Neither was I. Cole looked over at me and gave me a pleading look, "I'll find you later?"

"I don't think that's such a good--"

Cole smiled and interrupted me, "Save me a dance."

Bidding his friends goodbye, he walked away, his eyes trying to reach mine but I'd looked away. I was still so mad at him. Not just about the Scott thing but about everything. Here was one of NYC's most eligible bachelors trying his very best to enamor me. Things should be great, except for his mother. He knew what she was doing and he still let it happen. He'd seen how broken I was after seeing my father for the first time in years and he remained silent. I can't help but question all of this. Was any of it real? Or am I just a challenge he'll drop as soon as he's got it?

"Everything okay, Poppy?" I looked up into the newcomer's voice and nodded. Elle looked over my shoulder, most likely spotting Cole's retreating back, and sighed. "Remember what I said."

She hugged Dante then and pulled him away to talk in private. I was left with Felicity, but each of us were trapped in our own thoughts. Felicity was watching Elle and Dante closely, her eyes narrowed and calculating. Something must have dawned on her because she smiled a little and took a sip of her drink, looking away. Meanwhile, my mind was on a certain blue eyed demon.

"Fel, can I ask you something?"

"Hmm?" she said turning to order another drink. I sat next to her and her eyes met mine.

"Am I stupid to give Cole a chance even after the whole fiasco with his mother and my father?" I said quietly. "I mean, I know I probably shouldn't but are we to blame for our parents' mistakes? Ugh, it's just his stupid, confusing, smile. It melts me every time. It's out of my control."

Felicity cradled her cosmo, thinking. Her eyes flickered behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see Dante and Elle talking by the bar. Dante looked down at her smiling as she laughed at something he said. Max appeared beside her and the boys shook hands, the smile--now strained--still frozen on Dante's face.

Felicity pursed her lips and downed her drink. "Be careful, Poppy. There's always something hidden behind a smile."

SO FAR I HAD MANAGED TO EVADE COLE. I stuck with Felicity, and she in turn introduced me to her many acquaintances. A few of the gentlemen had expressed an interest in me but all I could picture as I danced with them were eyes the color of icebergs.