I finish typing out a paragraph of excuses only to delete it seconds after. I decide on keeping things simple and shoot off a quick "I'm here whenever you wanna talk" text and send it to her. Before I can get around to sliding my phone back into my jeans, the hard tap of a balled up piece of paper landing on my desk distracts me. 

I scan the classroom for a couple seconds trying to figure out who and where it came from, but suddenly, everybody's busy taking notes instead of passing them around like I know they do. I unwrap the ball in my hands until the handwriting's clear enough to read over the wrinkles.

"Question, is 'girlfriend' Spanish for long-term whore? If so, none of us are mad about it. We'll still look for you on the weekends xo"

I read the message once. Twice. Three times. And then I snap. And I know I shouldn't. I know I'm in the middle of class, and that I'll get in trouble if I do this. I know my mom and dad will be beyond disappointed for losing control. I know Tanner would want me to breathe through the worst of my frustration and keep my cool.

But I'm way past the point of staying calm.

Coming after me is one thing. I don't care if my picture's posted online or if people run their mouths behind my back. But going after Lacey—even if they don't know that she's my girlfriend is going too far. I bolt up out of my chair and nearly knock my desk clean off its legs from the speed alone.

"Who the hell wrote this?!"

The whole class turns around to look at me including our new substitute teacher, Ms. Mandrake, whose glares could kill. The lady looks and acts like an angry, half-senile English bulldog. Her face is stuck in a permanent scowl and her saggy cheeks never fail to wobble back and forth whenever she disapproves of something. Right now, she clearly disapproves of me. She narrows her cloudy eyes, digs her hands into her wide hips, and clicks her tongue at me from across the room.

"Mr. King, as I'm sure you're well aware, loudness and foul language are not allowed in my class, so I highly suggest that you—"

"What about trash talking other students, Ms. Mandrake? Is that allowed? What about gossip? And rumors? And using all that bullshit to ruin people's lives? Is that okay? 'Cause apparently there's people in here that seem to think so."

I crush the note in my fist and search the faces of every single person sitting in front of me. I wanna see the moment when their guilt gives them away, but nobody flinches. Kids at Mission Bay don't crack under pressure unless their social lives are on the line. None of them have anything to lose when it comes to destroying people like me and Lacey, so it doesn't matter what I say. Or how angry I get.

And that's pissing me off even more. Ms. Mandrake sighs to herself like she's watching a child throw a tantrum she doesn't have the energy to put up with.

"Listen, young man. I don't know what has you agitated this morning, but I'll offer you two ways to deal with it. You can apologize, sit down, and remain silent for the rest of this lesson. Or you can leave my class and take a yellow detention slip on the way out."

"Done and done."

I don't even think twice about grabbing my backpack off the ground and b-lining straight to the front of the classroom. I swipe a detention slip off Ms.Mandrake's desk before she even has the chance to make the move to hand me one. Ms. Mandrake clears her throat at me right as I reach the door.

"Mr. King, before you step out, I hope you're well aware that your behavior this morning will affect your grades negatively. It might do you some good to reconsider your actions."

I run a hand through my hair and briefly consider turning my back and walking away without making things worse. But, whether I like it or not, I'm still my father's son.