chapter 57

Yo! I'm so so so very sorry for the late update... But on a different note.... This book is skyrocketing.... I'm impressed. Thank you guys so much. I love you all ❤️❤️❤️

Josephine woke up the next morning with determination trying to get in contact with any of the two but unfortunately for her, they weren't ready to talk to her. And she was tired of forcing it after a few days. And decided to take a leave from school. She focused more on her father's organization. "Once he gets better" she thought "once he gets better?" she asked herself..... "please.....Let him get better" she pleaded at the church, her hands together in a kneeling position, tears in her eyes. She trembled there, exhaustion setting in.

"God..." She heard making her open her eyes slowly to turn around to find a man in pope outfit. He seemed to have white hair and his beard was almost neatly shaved but he was undoubtedly old. "would never give us more than we can handle." He said with the faintest of smiles at her. Something struck her, she felt like she had heard those words before. "Just keep your faith strong young one" the pope added and she bowed.

"Thank you, father." She said out of respect then and walked out of the church when she was done. She looked at her car. Then her keys. She got in staring into the distance  What if she drove head first into a tree? What if she jumped into ice cold water? What if she- the remembrance of a bright satisfied smile on rosy thin lips stopped her thinking. She put her hand into her hair pulling at it. She banged her head on the steering wheel. Not like it was helping her. She kept on hitting her head, continuously without hesitation.

Her phone rang bringing her back to reality somewhat. She checked the caller ID "Dorothy" she picked it up clearing her voice. "Hey" she said calmly like she wasn't just hitting her head against her wheel.

"I heard about your promise a year ago to go to the next Halloween party with Darlington" Dorothy said sounding timid and shy. She probably didn't even realize that she didn't return the pleasantries but now was the time. "I heard him say that he was still going. So get your busy ass over here. I'm going to give you a make over." Dorothy said and Josephine sighed into the phone.

"The party is in lass than two weeks. Don't worry there's plenty of time." Josephine said. She didn't want to get anyone involved in what she was going through. When she didn't hear anything for a few minutes she was ready to end the call. "Coward." She heard Dorothy say in her usual calm tone. And she put the phone back to her ear, amused. "What was that?" Josephine asked, her cockiness returning as she tried to hold in a chuckle.  "You haven't been coming to pick us up to school. And what scares me is that Darlington just refuses to say anything about what's going on! But I can't just stand by and watch the two of you break apart!" She heard the girl say, like it was everything she had.

Josephine smiled softly. "Where are you? Let's get ice cream" she offered and Dorothy smiled to herself. "I'd walk down to the ice cream store away from our restaurant. The bluey one. Meet me there" Josephine nodded and ended the call, putting in her key and starting the car. For one day maybe she could just forget about her worries.

"What's your favorite colour?" Dorothy asked swinging her legs from the park bench licking her ice cream. "Probably the colour of your brother's eyes." She said smiling into the distance. The Sunday evening was surprisingly warm and the grass of the park was damp. "That's just gross" Dorothy said pushing up her glasses.
"I'm sure Josh would say his favorite colour was that of your eyes. Or your hair" Josephine said wiggling her eye brows at Dorothy who scoffed despite being red. "That's just cliché" Dorothy said burying half her face in her ice cream."I guess thats what our life is then." Josephine said happily as of relieving some beautiful memories in that short span.

"But it's good right?" Dorothy asked and Josephine looked at her confused. "I-i mean, all c-cliche movies have a happy ending. So I-i-i- know that whatever happens to you guys.... there'd be a happy ending...." Dorothy said, her face going into a deeper shade of red as she said what she did. She used to opportunity to quickly dip her lips back into the ice cream. "Do you want me... Take you shopping perhaps? We could get your outfits and paint your-" Josephine was interrupted by the sound of her phone ringing. She brought out her phone with a groan, she smiled at Dorothy who smiled back giving her permission.

"Yes. Ok. Ok John. I'd be at the office by tomorrow." Josephine negotiated calmly. John's voice went over her ear as he shouted  in frustration. "Just cause your father is-" he calmed himself realizing he shouldn't do that. Josephine clenched her fist in anger she felt smaller hands hold her clenched fist and smile up at her. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." The man pleased from the other end of the line. Josephine sighed. "I'd be there in 12 minutes. Keep everything under control" Josephine said calmly then she ended the call. "I'm sorry love but I've got to go do something. Maybe next time." Josephine said and Dorothy smiled at her.

"I'd drop you off." Josephine said motioning for them to walk.

"Don't worry. My brother would be here to pick me up" Dorothy said and Josephine's eyes went slightly wide. She can't remember the last time she spoke to him.... "It's not darlington.its Damian." Dorothy reassured and right on time, the tall lanky boy appeared, walking towards them. "Damian?" Josephine asked confused. She saw his striking black hair and deep blue eyes. 

"Woah! Is that Josephine?!" He said rather excited. Josephine arched a brow at him. "It's been a while kiddo!" Damian said and Josephine nodded. "Aw... Don't tell me you don't remember me. I'm still in contact with Maxwell. " He said then Josephine smiled at him politely.somehow although him and Darlington were brothers, he gave off a way more controlling aura than the rest in the family. Almost like him and Dorothy were the same. He patted her head easily. After all they were practically the same height if not for the fact that there was an inch difference.

Josephine leaned into his touch a bit before realizing she had to be at work. She excused herself, giving a peck to Dorothy on the cheek then a wave to Damian and she left. "She's.... Busy...." Dorothy muttered, eyes trained to the back of her car that drove away.

"Which dress should I pick?" Dorothy asked. A Josephine who eyed the clothes like she was scanning for any imperfection. "The peach might make you look too white." Josephine said considering the options. "Eyes or hair?" Josephine asked and Dorothy asked back with a smirk. "Which does Josh prefer?" Josephine looked up as if thinking. "That ass" Josephine said with a huge smirk which got Dorothy flustered. "that wasn't even the question!" Dorothy said getting all hot headed. Josephine threw her head back, laughing. One of her infamous laughs. The one Dorothy has only heard of how amazing they were but she was finally getting the chance to see it.

"Beautiful...." Dorothy muttered under her breath. Josephine stopped wiping a tear from the corner of her eye. She hadn't laughed that good in a long time. "As punishment I'm taking both!" Dorothy called out to her and Josephine smirked. "Giving me a run for my money ey love! I like it!" Josephine called after her. "But you'd look stunning in that velvet vampire gown!" Josephine called out more and Dorothy scoffed out loud pretending to be mad but a small laughter broke her act and she found herself laughing along with Josephine. "You really are something" Dorothy commented as she walked around the designed rug for the private booth Josephine had reserved for just them and into the changing room.

Josephine felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and looked at the caller ID. She groaned. She picked it up. "Yeah. Ok ok. I'd be there in a bit" Dorothy watched her from the binds as she ran her fingers through her hair in frustration. She came out in the stunning velvet vampire outfit. "You can go." Dorothy said with a smile. "I understand" those were her sincere words. Josephine thought for a moment then threw her keys and card to Dorothy. "My Butler would be here to take you home. Use the card to pay for what you pick. I'd take a cab." Josephine said with a smile and a peck to Dorothy's cheek as she ran out, giving a small smile to the one who was taking in more clothes for Dorothy to try out.

Dorothy sighed. She wasn't sure what was going on in Josephine's life at the moment but what she knew was that.... Her brother had no right to be angry.