Ch. 15: The Rejects Fight Back

Italics = Thoughts

(F/N's POV)

Flash, Bakugo, Midoriya, and I have known each other ever since we were young, since we lived in the same neighborhood. Flash and I were real close when we were little. Harry and his dad had yet to move to Japan and Flash and I were best friends at the time. Surprisingly Bakugo didn't actively pick on Midoriya and I back then. Before his Quirk. Back then he was the fearless leader of all the neighborhood kids. Midoriya looked up to him especially and thought he was cool.

This admiration only fueled Bakugo's ego. When he finally received his Quirk, his superiority complex skyrocketed. After that there was no way he could associate with two Quirkless kids. Somehow he managed to slowly convince Flash to join in and pick on the Quirkless kids. After all, their quirks were amazing and we were powerless. The whole situation made me distance myself from everyone, even from Midoriya, and I instead buried my head in my books. I probably would've stayed the loner bookworm if it wasn't for Harry. He actually understood my interest in science and made me feel normal.

Of course, Midoriya didn't have a friend like Harry at the time to lean on for support. He felt isolated back then, clinging to his dream to become a hero and hoping to one day prove Bakugo wrong. Bakugo must see the sudden power Midoriya now possesses as a challenge to the social hierarchy and now is doing everything in his power to crush the kid he once bullied.

Those are the feelings present during the match between 'Kacchan' and 'Deku'. I had a front row seat to the action with the rest of the class in the monitor room, as the two rivals stared one another down. I held my mask in my hand and clenched my fist tight.

F/N: Come on, Midoriya. Prove him wrong about us! We're not just the rejects he can put down anymore!

Uraraka stood behind Bakugo, but he was completely ignoring her. Iida tried to talk to Bakugo over their comms, but Bakugo shut it off, focusing only on Midoriya. My classmates began to speak up about the mission of each team and I listened in.

Mina: "So, the time limit is 15 minutes, and the heroes don't know the location of the weapon, right?"

All Might: "Yes!"

Mina: "The hero teams are at a real disadvantage, huh?"

All Might: "It's like Aizawa told you. Heroes should be able to turn the tables on whatever predicament they're in. Say it with me!"

Everyone: Plus Ultra!"

Aoyama: "Ah, Monsieur, Bakugo is--"

Bakugo charged up the explosions in his palms and jumped towards Midoriya with his explosion propelling him forward. Midoriya called to Uraraka, telling her to find the weapon since Bakugo would only go after him. Bakugo sent a kick towards Midoriya's head, but he blocked it with his arms. To Bakugo's surprise, Midoriya attempted to bind his leg with the capture tape. Midoriya predicted Bakugo's next attacked and dodged out of the way of his right hook explosion. I smirked, happy to see my friend holding his own.

Sato: "He's amazing!"

Sero: "He's going toe-to-toe without using his Quirk! Against the top-scorer for villain points in the entrance exam!"

Midoriya kneeled on the ground, looking at Bakugo down the hall. Rather than facing Bakugo head on, Midoriya retreated around the corner and kept running through the hall. He must've wanted to regroup and come up with a plan, considering the difference in their abilities. If Midoriya could get away for now, he could potentially get the jump on Bakugo.