You're pregnant? (August 2010)

Beginne am Anfang

Three years of dating all down the drain because of one stupid night of naive excitement. They should've been smarter. They've always used protection in the past, but he forgot it at home that night. But it was just one night, so it didn't matter right? That's what they'd convinced themselves. But now they're here, one of them innocent and unknowing, the other scared senseless and sobbing.

***

Camryn rushes out the front door as soon as she hears the car horn outside. She's greeted by a smiling, but slightly confused Gemma sitting in the driver's seat waving her in.

"Hi Gems, thanks for coming,"Camryn greets as soon as she sits down in the leather seat.

"Of course babe,"Gemma nods looking over at Camryn and studying her. Her eyes are red and puffy, and she has a bit of dried up snot under her nose. Her hands shake as she tries to buckle herself in and her fingernails are bleeding a bit, having been bitten raw. "Can you tell me what's going on?"

Camryn starts sobbing as soon as Gemma asks the question. Gemma quickly unbuckles herself and reaches over the center console to hug Camryn tightly to her chest. "Hey it's okay babe. You can talk to me. Just breathe, you're alright."

Camryn shakes her head into Gemma's chest, continuing to cover her face with her hands.
"Camryn,"Gemma says, pulling Camryn's body away from hers so she can look her in the eyes while she holds on to her shoulders, "is it what I think it is?"

Camryn's eyes beg Gemma to not say the words out loud. She's been too scared to hear them let alone say them for the past four days.

"I-I,"Camryn begins to speak causing her sobs to increase, "I...think...I'm pregnant."

"Oh babe,"Gemma hums pulling Camryn to her chest yet again as Camryn's sobs hit a peak. Gemma coos lightly with her cheek resting on Camryn's head, shushing her quietly. "You're alright Cami. It's going to be alright. Breathe for me, love. You'll be okay."

After a few more minutes of crying, Camryn begins to calm herself down and sits back in her seat with her head against the headrest and her hands gripping the seat belt.

"How many days late are you?"Gemma asks cautiously, reversing the car out of the driveway.

"Four,"Camryn murmurs, barely loud enough for Gemma to hear.

"Alright, I hate to ask because it's my little brother, but I have to so I can think about our odds here, okay,"Gemma explains before asking her next question. "Did you use protection? Are you thinking it broke?"

"No,"Camryn responds shaking her head, "we always have before, but we didn't about a month ago. It was only one time."

Gemma nods her head trying to remain calm, "okay babe, try to calm down okay? We haven't taken the test yet. For all we know you could just be late, right? No need to worry before we have to, yeah?"

"Yeah,"Camryn agrees nodding her head, trying to convince her mind that Gemma is right. But it's no use, she can't explain it, but her heart already knows something that a test doesn't need to prove to her.

***

"Do you know which ones to get?"Camryn asks as they look at the isle filled with different kinds of pregnancy tests.

"No,"Gemma shakes her head, sighing and picking up another box, "but I'm sure any of these would work, right?"

Camryn nods as she looks at the box in her own hands, "let's just get those ones. I wanna get out of here."

Gemma looks up at Camryn as soon as she hears the voice crack and is met with Camryn's eyes filling up with tears. Camryn's hands shake as she begins to walk out of the isle with the box in her hands, her eyes scanning the store to try to catch people looking at her. It feels like everyone is looking at her. Everyone is judging her.