PART ONE | CREATION

"Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world."

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

±

Nile Delta, prehistoric Egypt, time unknown

She was born under a candy cane sky. White clouds and a red backdrop swirling together, seemingly an omen to her people. Human, and not so intertwined, as night and day had entangled so during dusk. At the crossroad of human and mutant, dark and light, a child was born in a house made of wood and stone, to parents from whom the option to spend even a second with their daughter was ripped away.

The couple fell to their deaths while the crying newborn was carried away as an offering to gods who didn't care about her existence any more than they did about her mother and father. The girl disappeared, never to be heard from again, as did her parents, as they were put to rest in an unmarked grave, with none of the luxuries their lives demanded, no way to find her way to the afterlife. No Gods to appease.

Their daughter would come to be known as an almighty being in due time anyway.

All throughout her life, the people who had ripped her from her life told her one thing. Gods are to be worshipped, for they have more power over us than we know. She had been the first to challenge that thought.

Gods are not Gods when they're with us, mere mortals.

They never believed her. She was a God, after all. She was on Earth, she walked with the mortals, but she would never truly be like them. Not as a crying child, or a stubborn teen, or as a headstrong woman. Never like them.

Perhaps she was wrong, and they were right. Perhaps it was just a new perspective. Or perhaps she was something in-between.

MUSIC

the sun by the naked and famous

"and you've won / so I go bury my head / in the ground / yet I won't lose what I said"

hurts like hell by fleurie

"I don't think they'd understand it, no / I don't think they would accept me, no"

broken people by almost monday

"I'm wondering how long I can get by / seems so wrong but I know I'll be all right / only been down for a minute / feels so long when I'm in it"

new emotion by the aces

"would you take it wrong / if I leaned in for a kiss now, babe? / what's this new emotion that I'm feeling / when I'm around you?"

soul on fire by the last internationale

"doesn't matter how hard they try to / push me down / still i rise / soul on fire"

what I want by the band camino

"second chances, they don't bother me / time's the only track to honesty"

forbidden by alexa cappelli

"now I'm midnight driving / wondering if I should've let you lean in / feel the gravity pulling on our skin / are you even worth it if I lose a friend"

dean martin by tess henley

"how are you so coy? I wish every boy had your charm / freeze me like a popsicle and watch me melt / dancing from the start, was that your heart I felt?"

let's fall in love for the night by finneas

"play me a song that you like / you can bet I'll know every line"

not above love by alunageorge

"I'm not above love, I just ran out of air / I'm not above love, so it's not like I don't care"

praise you by fatboy slim

"we've come a long, long way together / through the hard times and the good"

dancing around by flor

"I wish for the madness / I live a bit lavish / but you don't care besides / and I'll be / living this freely"

to build a home by the cinematic orchestra

"this is a place where I don't feel alone / this is a place where I feel at home / and I built a home / for you / for me / until it disappeared / from me / from you"

give a little by maggie rogers

"drop your weapons, drop your guard / just a little trust is all it takes / oh, I know that you've been around / but hear me now, I'm crying out"