63 || caught up in fashion!

brooklyn
7:00am

A

I woke up at 6:00am on the dot, way before my alarm at 7:30.

I wasn't even sleepy or groggy. My eyes just shot open as if I had just shut them.

I took in the early morning cool blue light of my apartment. I soon realize, I don't want the extra hour and a half. I hurried to the shower.

I went through the every day morning routine even though is isn't just any other mundane day. I rushed through it faster than ever. I couldn't believe how fast I was done as I finished blowing out my hair.

I got dressed in an oversized men's suit for maximum comfort to get the day started.

I tried to recount everything in my tote bag, to make sure I have everything. But my nerves crept in and I went through everything at least three times. The last thing I want to do is forget something here knowing full well I won't be back until god knows when. I grabbed my garment bag and tossed it over my shoulder as I did my third check of all my things.

I took one deep breath as I left my apartment. It's silly and maybe stupid but I can't help but think I'm going to be different when I come back later. A lot might be different.

My phone rang as I walked down the street to the cafe. I have just enough time to squeeze in the first of probably many coffees today.

"Shay?" I answer, worry in my voice.

"Yo!" Shay said over the receiver.

"What's up?" I ask entering the cafe, the smell of the brew smacking me in the face.

"I just wanted to make sure that you were awake because Derek is officially on do not disturb mode." Shay sighed, rustling around on her end.

"Well it wouldn't be fashion week without a little bit of drama." I shake my head.

I tried not to come off like I was instantly worried even though I am. I do not want to freak her out because then I'll freak out more and it's just, a whole mess.

"Yeah you're right. It's early I'm trying not to like, lose it already." Shay confesses.

"Same here." I say.

I quickly order a couple of lattes and bagels.

"Hey take a cab don't walk! All of fifth is backed up with the it girl wanna be's." Shay joked.

"Ugh, already?"

"Yes! So haul ass!"

And I take her advice, securing our breakfast in the seat next to me in the cab. With every block we got closer to the office, the anticipation in my stomach only grew. We didn't get backed up by the traffic and I felt like a sign from the universe that said, take a breath. So far, so good.

I kept telling myself to relax all the way from the sidewalk to my floor. Which is, by the way, in utter chaos.

When the elevator doors behind me closed, it brought me back to reality and I heard the office explode into noise. Chatter, yelling, phones ringing.

"Oh my god you're here." Shay said, spotting me by the elevators.

"And so are you, you look amazing." I complimented her pre-show casual look.

"Thank you!"

"You look very zen. Very 'I've got my shit together." I chuckle.

"Yeah well, I almost sharted this morning, it's cool." Shay sighed.