Thanksgiving, act i

newbury street, boston
12:45pm
2014

"Maddie!" Jesse sped, "Will you stop you're spilling on my skirt and my mom just had it dry cleaned!"

"Sorry what?" She snapped her head back at us, finally breaking eye contact with the two boys on the other side of the street, she was so distracted she got tea on Jesse's plaid skirt.

The three of us have on three different uniforms from three different private schools, easily recognized by the boys also in private school uniforms. It's Friday, we got out of school early and decided to window shop and just hang.

I recognized the boys. They're friends of Nate's, students of St. Jude's. But I didn't say anything.

"Ugh, St. Jude's has the yummiest snacks, Mar you're so lucky." Maddie announced.

"You know I don't want to have to remind you that Jake, your boyfriend, is picking us up later." Jesse warned.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm just looking." She hooked her arm into Jesse's.

"And what if Jake was 'just looking' at a girl?" Jesse asks, and it's a totally valid question.

Maddie's totally exploded on a couple girls for looking in Jake's general direction. She's got a reputation for it.

"Lighten up, Jesus, you remind me of Sister Kathy." She was a nun who transferred from Jesse's school to Maddie's.

"What's so wrong with that?" Jesse asked as the only one of us who's never even kissed a boy.

Though I don't really count my first kiss as the real thing anyway. But if my experience with boys is limited, Jesse's is more so. She reminds us constantly she wasn't planning on it anyway until she meets "the one".

"Nothing Jess." I respond, tossing the last of my tea that's gone cold into the nearest bin.

"I think I'm gonna break up with him." Maddie sighed, so casually, like she just thought it up right now.

"What? Why? You love Jake!" Jesse said and I swear I could see a little bit of magic leave her eyes.

"Ugh, please! He won't stop talking about winter formal and dinner with his grandparents before we go to Martha's Vineyard with his entire fuckin' family."

"Your parents are letting you go to that?" Jesse wonders.

"It was their idea! My dad's law firm is having that charity gala, and Jake wants to go with me as my date."

"Everything you just said, just sucked." I shake my head.

"Oh yeah."

"My condolences."

"I swear it's like we hit the six month mark and everyone's planning our wedding. I'm fifteen! It's all just been getting so annoying especially since Trent and I had that kiss in spin the bottle. I want someone cool, like Trent, not another stupid lacrosse player." Maddie admitted.

"Mads, Trent plays JV lacrosse." I shake my head, laughing and discovering her true reasoning for wanting to dump Jake. She likes someone else.

"Trent also hates the whole WASP bullshit everyone in this god forsaken city has got going on." She sighs.

And that's true. He's the closest thing we've got to a bad boy around here.