Send Off

Chester pulled the next sweater out of the bag, this one black with heavy white stripes running down the arms. "Cheese, look at this one!" He held it up for the little terrier to see. "I'm wearing this one when we fly to New York." He waited, giving the puppy the chance to really look at the sweater before he took his phone and tried to take a selfie that would show off the Score piece.

"I can't believe all this stuff is going to come out next week," he mumbled to himself as he sent a text along with the picture to Ryan.

Chester: My fav so far!

He tossed his phone back on the bed, and folded the sweater neatly next to it before he looked around at the mess on the bed. Over the last forty-five minutes, he'd been pulling clothes out of the two large Score bags, each one filled with the company's newest winter styles. Sweaters, jeans, beanies, gloves, scarves, and even a pair of boots had been sent home with both Chester and Ryan for them to pack along with whatever else they were bringing. One thing was made clear, they would both be decked out in Score clothing the whole time they were in New York.

"I'm not sure where I'm going to put all this stuff," Chester mumbled to the dog as he surveyed the explosion of clothes. Over the last week, Cheeseburger had settled into their daily routine, and was even doing pretty well at night. She was quiet, only barking when she wanted something, or when she'd really get excited over chasing her stuffed cheese toy down the hallway. There had been a few accidents, but nothing major, and they were on day two of being totally accident free with the puppy. She laid between them on the couch, and snuggled in bed with them when they would let her. She would whine when she needed to go out, and somewhere along the way, Cheeseburger had become simply Cheese, and neither Mike nor Chester actually seemed to notice the change.

Chester's phone dinged and he picked it up, a smile across his face as he looked at Ryan's answering photo - his white shirt with heavy black stripes going down the sleeves.

Ryan: I know I look smokin' hot. You don't have to tell me. Have you noticed that Score likes to make lots of versions of the same stuff?

Chester snorted as he typed back.

Chester: You ARE smokin' hot, and don't ever let anyone tell you different. And I know. I guess that's cheaper since it's only one design?

He sent off the text before he peered into the bag, a frown swallowing his happy face. "That's it, Cheese. I can't complain. I think Forrest actually gave us four complete brand new outfits. One for every day we're going to be gone." He leaned forward and patted the puppy on her head. "I'm going to miss you. You better take care of Sexy Boy while I'm gone," he told the dog, doing his best to sound stern and serious. "And no messes. Mike's not the best at cleaning." He winked at Cheese as his phone dinged again.

Ryan: You're probably right about the design thing. I'm ready to go, Chazzy. Seriously. We're going to have so much fun.

Chester: Yeah we are. We have to go to Times Square and the Statue of Liberty, you know, all that tourist cheesy stuff. What else is NY famous for?

Before Chester could even put his phone down, it chimed again.

Ryan: Bagels. And pizza. And the subway.

Chester sucked his piercing in. It was the most interactive conversation with Ryan he'd had in awhile, and it was exciting to see his friend acting and sounding like he used to before their worlds were turned upside down. Before Mark died. Before Jason left.

Chester: I vote we do all those things, and anything else you want to do while we're there. Forrest said as long as we don't get in trouble, our nights are free for whatever we want to do. *eye roll emoji* Like WE'D get into trouble.