01 ° Tranquil Existence.

❝LOOK AT ALL THE FACELESS GAZES THAT ARE PASSING BY.❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

ELEMENTARY STUDENTS—AS CONSCIENTIOUS CHILDREN—FOLLOWED THE RULES. Or, well, they followed it to the best of their abilities. Not all children wanted to obey the rules, rebelling at every opportunity given to them. That was just how life was sometimes. The reticent young girl uttered her gratitude to the team of students serving food, analyzing today's lunch quietly. Soon enough, she would distribute the nutritious meals the school provided to her classmates. That would be her way of reimbursing them and their efforts. No words, no conversation. It was peaceful that way.

If she was honest—yeah, she kind of disliked her classmates. She enjoyed their presence but chose not to interact with them. Most children at her age were noisy, too noisy. Her associates respected her boundaries and assumed that she was a quiet, reserved girl. That was all there was to [Name] [Surname]—an eleven-year-old at Budogaoka Elementary. She was a girl that chose to dwell alone in her tranquil existence, the sound of good luck charms clinking together ringing in her ears.

She didn't wish to be besieged by her acquaintances anyway.

"[Name]"—and then, there was him—"are you going to eat your food?"

Hayato Kawajiri. You could consider them friends, seeing how they were the only ones to interact with each other regularly. The two introverted children were almost two peas in a pod; despite that, the children barely knew the other. It was difficult for camaraderie to form for the two precocious children. After being divide into a group together, the two of them strangely stuck to each other like glitter and glue. She just—clicked with him; there was a connection that didn't have a way to be described. At the same time, she felt indifferent toward his existence as an acquaintance. Was this the beginning of a blossoming friendship? Who knows.

But did she have the courage to initiate conversation or the motivation to do so?

No, not at all.

Putting her hands together, she whispered her gratitude for her meal. "I'll eat now."

She stirred the bowl of curry in her upper left-hand corner with her spoon, moving her rice to her right. It was an honor to have lunch in Japan; compared to American school lunches, Japan's meals seem like a luxury many can't afford. Lunch always contained a variety of healthy and nourishing food. As she poured the curry on the left, she tilted her head to the side, staring at Hayato.

The other children in the classroom were murmuring like busy bees, chatting their lunchtime away. While she wouldn't bother with the frivolous mumblings of grade-schoolers, her ears perked up at the sound of a familiar name.

"Rumor has it that there's an urban legend located in this school!"

Her classmate leaned forward, eager to hear more of the story. "Woah! There is?!"