dear ex-bestfriend.

30.

I see our pictures on my phone

And question why we didn't try,

Yeah we were just habits, I thought we'd always have it

So to my ex-bestfriend,

I thought I'll know till the end

I'm sorry, I know things aren't going as we planned

My once ride or die,

The one who always knew me right

We would swear it'd always end up you and I,

We really messed up this time

Dear Eddy,

Congratulations! I can't be more happier than I already am. You have grown up, into a man and now, you've become a husband and soon-to-be father.
I hope your daughter lives the best life, and takes all the happiest memories along with her.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to come to your wedding. Funny, we used to talk about being each other's best man so much. Well I am happy I'm no longer your best man and neither your best friend.

I'm happy you've found new people. Better than I could've ever been. They will surely take better care of you. We may never meet and I don't have the courage to look into your eyes anymore. So I will never get the chance to say what you have to, to your face. I've always been a coward. This is probably not the best time to read this sentimental piece of crap. I don't want you to feel pressurised and sad. This is a big day. Go and enjoy.

I want you to read this letter when you are not very happy and neither very sad. I would encourage you to have your wife alongside. She has been the best supporter.

Please read this when you are free, and I'm the last the thing on your mind. Sad to say, I know you. I don't want to make this day sad.  No matter how much you would want to continue; don't.

Stop reading this, go enjoy.

~B.

The letter ended. Eddy was surprised. He was weirded out too. The letter had no more content. He took another look at the huge envelope. This time, he found something.

Another letter. And something else. Something more sentimental.

A blue rose, hand carved.

Made of sandal wood. But this was new. Not the one he gifted, all those years ago. It was not the symbol of the promise he made. But a symbol of something new.

"You still remember huh?" Eddy huffed, holding the rose like a treasure in his hands. Tears has started forming. "Babe, remember what he said. No being sad now, be happy. Big day tonight." Mary spoke, rubbing Eddy's back. She was reading the letter along with him. "I'll keep the second letter safely, you keep the rose. Carefully! We will read it when we go home tomorrow. He gave something else too. But I don't want to open it now, just in case." Mary's spoke as she neatly laid the letter in her bag.

Mary never admitted, but she knew Eddy's unspoken secret. And she knew better to trigger it on their wedding day.

She knew Eddy loved Brett. She was not blind like the other two men.

She knew Eddy still loved Brett.
And she knew Brett loved Eddy back.

But she also knew Eddy would never chose Brett over her. Past can not be easily buried.  After all, it is what makes you, 'you'.

————x———-x——-
Author's note:
Are We What We Think We Are?

A new short series. Chapter 1 and 2 out now.

Please go check it out!
<3