symphony.

10.

I've been hearing symphonies,

Before all I heard was silence

A rhapsody for you and me,

And every melody is timeless

Life was stringing me alone,

Before you came and you cut me loose

Was solo singing on my own

Now I can't find a key without you

And now your song is on repeat

And I'm dancing onto your heartbeat

But when your gone, I'll feel incomplete

So if you want the truth,

I just wanna be part of your symphony

Will you hold me tight and not let go?

--

A week had passed. Eddy seemed a bit better than before. His grades hadn't dropped or anything and he still could play the violin with emotions. One thing had changed though, it was Eddy now who played the violin with a deadpan face not Brett. Brett's now had emotion on his face. He was praised innumerable times by teachers in under a week and had set high standards for other classmates.

Eddy did have a few other friends beside Brett though, but none of them seemed to know him well enough. They never sat together during lunch. Neither did they attend the classes where Eddy would play for the teachers. Eddy became more alone. All he had were thousands of texts from Brett and phone calls every night. Brett seemed happy and Eddy's voice over the call didn't seem that weird to Brett too. 'He will get through it.' Brett thought to himself. People would think that Eddy's goal of becoming a doctor was sudden but deep inside only Brett and Eddy knew that they were not sudden. Life had given enough hints to tell them that they weren't going to last as best friends for long. People would loudly gasp when Eddy would say "I'm not going to take up music in college." and that saddened Eddy internally even more. All he ever wanted was that whomsoever Brett makes his best friend in the future, never hurts him and takes care of him very well. He knew that they wouldn't last long if they had to continue this long-distance-best-friendship. Brett was a social guy, there was no way he could spend his college and university life without close friends. Brett could make friends in an instant and unbeknownst to Eddy, he was. But none of the friends Brett made now were even close to the relationship he had with Eddy. And Brett didn't even know if it was possible to duplicate that friendship.

Eddy had month before he goes to his medical college.And all he wanted in that month was to play the violin as much as he could. For the first week that Brett was gone, he did. He played until his fingers cramped and neck hurt. He played until he couldn't move his shoulder properly, relishing the sweet sounds that the strings made. But when the first phase of realization struck Eddy, he couldn't do so anymore. It started with an Instagram post. Brett posted a photo with twenty or so other people captioned "IT'S SO MUCH FUN!" Eddy realized Brett had already made new friends a bunch of them. The comments were fun to read too but for any outsider not for Eddy. The comments looked they contained hidden meanings; as if they were inner jokes, only meant for a few people to understand. Brett replied to a lot of them, even used heart emojis. But one comment felt like a knife to the chest. 

"Do you miss Brisbane now?"

~"Actually, not as much. LOL! :D"

"See told you we could make you feel better!"

Eddy smiled at the comment. Of course Brett was missing home and of course his new friends were helping him. Good on him. Eddy didn't feel mad, nope not at all. He felt a bit good. 'Maybe his friends will help him not have anxiety and depression. He would have people to talk too.' He reassured himself that Brett's friends were all good people and were actually helping him.

But Eddy's fallacies lasted a day. The next day when he tried picking up his violin, he found himself unable to do so. He found himself missing Brett so much to the point where even looking at violin hurt him. He put his violin in his cupboard safely and waited for the night to arrive. He knew that nightfall was the only time when he would be able to talk to Brett. He desperately looked at his phone every five minutes to see if he received any texts. Soon it was 1AM meaning around time for Brett to go to sleep and have a short chat with Eddy before doing so. Eddy always slept after 1AM, because he never wanted to miss a day of chatting with Brett. He was sitting on his bed chewing his fingernails while waiting for Brett to call him. He waited for who knows how long before huffing and looking at the clock. 1:28AM it said. 'Huh? Brett always calls before 1:30,' he thought. He wondered if Brett was busy but they already discussed on this matter. One would text and let the other know if they had some stuff to do or not. Eddy got a little worried. He chose to call Brett. 

The phone kept on ringing but no one answered. Eddy became more worried. He called once again, no reply. He tried one last time, and this time he picked up. "Hey, Brett." Eddy spoke up worriedly but all he could hear was party rhythms blasting in his ear. Half a minute later he heard a reply, "Umm I'm sorry Brett isn't here at this moment. He'll call you later okay? I'll tell him you called." a girl replied. Eddy was shocked, what was a girl doing with Brett's phone while he's gone, and in addition at what seemed like a club? Eddy replied, "Where is he? And do you know who I am?" The girl replied, "Umm it says on the phone Eddy, so I'm guessing you are Eddy? From Brisbane? Brett's friend, right?" Eddy was a little shocked, From Brisbane? yes. Brett's friend? Friend? "Uhh, y-yes yes friend." he replied coldly. "Well umm, you see, Brett is in a, umm, situation. He umm, is kinda, uh sick? He's throwing up, I think we have to take him home." the girl replied. "Okay, did he have too much?" he asked, "I think? Or maybe he was dancing, that's why, I don't know. I don't drink. He invited me." the girl stuttered further. Eddy wanted to laugh at her innocence but he was worried a bit. Plus he smiled to himself a little bit, 'Brett invited girl for a party who doesn't drink. Nice Brett' he thought to himself. "Fine, tell him to call me tomorrow. Take care of him, okay?" Eddy said before almost hanging up. "Wait, wait what's your name?" the girl replied with,"Yes yes surely, I'll take care of him. And uhh, what? Name? I'm Clari. Please don't add a net after that." eddy laughed a little, "Okay Clari I won't. Well bye." Clari replied, "Good night, take care. And don't worry about him too much, I'll take care of him." and she hung up. 

Eddy took a few minted to process the whole conversation. Brett invited a girl who doesn't drink to a party and got sick himself. He didn't inform Eddy prior and wait did she say, 'I'll take care of him?'

I'll?

'What's going on?' Eddy though to himself while getting underneath the covers. He switched the nightlight off and that's when Brett in his mind replied something he shouldn't have heard,

'He's moving on.'