The snow was about knee deep. I was having a hard time walking through it with my bulky winter coat and snow pants, but anything was worth it to save my wolf.

He was where he always was; at the edge of the woods, but he was thinner than normal, you could almost see the outline of his bones under his fur coat.
He has lost so much weight.

I frowned as I thought about how hungry he must be.

We had all this food and warmth in my house. And he was out in the woods freezing to death with no food for his pack to eat.

He wasn't paying attention. His head was resting on his outstretched  paws and he was looking down at the ground.

He didn't notice me for a few minutes, so I continued to be mesmerized by his wild beauty. 

His coat was still as brilliant and thick as ever. As if no matter how skinny he got, his fur pelt would remain the same lustrous midnight black, with his paws and tail and muzzle fading to grey.
I slowly walked closer and closer trying not to make any sudden movements to scare him away.

Once I got within about 10 feet of him, a strong gust of wind almost knocked me down into the snow.

His head shot up.

And his steely gaze was locked with mine.

I lowered my eyes and my head to show him respect, because I knew he was a high ranking wolf in his pack. I saw the way they treated him.

"I know you and your pack are starving, and I don't even think you can understand me, but please accept this food, I can't watch you die."
I stretched my arms out in front of me showing the meat I carried in my hands.

I took another step foward but this caused him to take one step back.
I frowned. Was he afraid of me? He could easily rip my head off if he wanted to. I couldn't defend myself if I tried.

He whined. Like he knew what I was thinking? No, that was crazy.
Crazier than thinking he could understand me or that he cared about me.

He was a wolf.

I was a girl.

It didn't make sense.

He whined again. 

I had never heard him make such a heartbreaking sound.

His howl was like music to my ears. Waking me at dawn right before the sun rose and my family would wake.
But this sound, was like he was crying at hearing my thoughts.

I took another step. "Please!" I begged.
He took another step back as he softly cried again.

His eyes never left mine, but he continued his retreat.