4

"I'd just make it up as I went along Mr. S," Faline says. "I'm more a lover than a fighter"

Mr. Stilinski laughs.

"Sweetheart, you broke a kid's nose when he threw a paper airplane at Scott's head"

"I broke his nose because he refused to apologize," Faline says. "And god's truth, I was aiming for his eye. I just lack basic hand-eye coordination"

Faline and the sheriff watch as Scott storms angrily from the house.

"I'm going to go fix whatever that is," Faline says before rushing up the stairs.

Five seconds later she runs back down and makes herself and Stiles a coffee before running back upstairs carefully.

"What happened?" Faline asks and Stiles points at his desk chair which had three claw marks dragged through the material.

"Scott got angry," Stiles says before grabbing the grimoire and waving it around before he takes the coffee from Faline. "Let's do magic!"

Stiles hands Faline the grimoire on a page called the Metamorphosis Spell.

"Stiles this is a really advanced spell. It requires ingredients that you definitely don't have," Faline says.

"We'll try something easier," Stiles says, rifling through the pages. "An ember spell. Simple"

Stiles pours a line of salt on the floor as Faline scans the page.

"Phasmatus Ignitium Dos Ex Salvo" Faline chants but nothing happens.

A defeated look falls on her face. She had mastered that spell at seven and now she was struggling with it. Stiles looks at her face and places a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Try again," Stiles says, a soft smile on his face.

"Phasmatus Ignitium Dos Ex Salvo. Phasmatus Ignitium Dos Ex Salvo" Faline sighs, throwing her hands up. "It's not working. Whatever bit me is causing my magic to go haywire"

"Listen to me. This is magic, no method is tried and true, right? It's not science, it's you that can do it. Only you," Stiles says. "I believe you can do this, now try again. Clear your mind and relax. Focus on me, my voice, anything"

"Phasmatus Ignitium Dos Ex Salvo" Faline chants. "Phasmatus Ignitium Dos Ex Salvo"

"Look Fae, you did it. Just like I said" Stiles says and Faline opens her eyes to reveal a line of fire where the salt once was. "Now extinguish it"

"Suctus incendia" Faline chants, clenching her fist and the fire disappears.

"Have you spoken to your dad?" Stiles asks.

"He doesn't like talking about my mother," Faline says, flicking through the book and her eyes widen in horror. "Look at this-"

When a witch comes into her powers, another witch with magic or without can take those powers.

There is a special alter in Ireland, in the outskirts of Carrickfergus where you spill the blood of said witch after they are killed, allowing their powers to flow directly into the person who made the sacrifice.

"She was going to kill me," Faline says quietly. "My own mother"

A tear runs down Faline's face.

"That's why my mother doted on me all those years" Faline jumps to her feet beginning to pace. "It wasn't love because I was a miracle child, it was guilt. She had this planned since I was conceived. I shouldn't have been hiding from here. I shouldn't have been hiding from Beacon Hills, I should have been hiding from her"

Stiles spots the small glimmer of tears in Faline's eyes and his heart clenches.

"Hey come here," Stiles says, pulling his best friend into his arms. "It's alright, you got out of there besides-"

"My mother's dead I know," Faline says, clutching onto Stiles' shirt. "And for the first time, I'm relieved"

 "And for the first time, I'm relieved"