A new case

Luke

The school contacted my office and asked me to meet with a student who seems to have issues. Teachers reported problems with the student. I asked the principal to send me paperwork regarding the student. I wanted to know what I'm dealing with here.

The school faxed me all the information, and sat down at my desk. I leaned back in my chair and read through the data. The child has manners but withdrawn. He's bright but prefers books than interact with other kids. The child shows signs of autism.

I contacted the school and talked to the principal. I asked questions, and he answered them. Then I set up to meet the student in a coffeehouse. I wanted the student to feel comfortable.

I left and went to the local coffeehouse, finding a booth. I sat down and waited. Ten minutes later, I watched the door as someone entered, looking around at the place. The kid walked towards me with his hands shoved in his front jean pockets. He walked over to me and stopped.

"Hi, Colton," I greeted him.

"Are you the guy that I'm meeting?" Colton asked.

"Yeah, have a seat," I offered.

Colton slid into the booth across from me. I ordered him a beverage and cake as he sat there, looking at me. The waitress returned with both for us.

"What's this?" Colton asked.

"I thought we could talk over coffee and cake. I found it makes it easier to discuss issues. It seems you've had a rough time," I mentioned as I took a bite of my cake.

Colton picked up his fork and took a bite of his cake. "People don't care about me," he said.

"Why do you feel that way?" I asked.

"People talk about me, but it doesn't mean anything. They don't know me," Colton said shrugging.

"Tell me things that you like," I suggested.

"I like books," Colton answered.

"Why?" I questioned.

"Because the characters become your friends. They don't judge me, and I can count on them," Colton explained.

We discussed books for a while. I watched Colton become animated as he discussed the stories that he read. It seemed that no one listened to Colton and assumed many things about him that weren't true.

We moved from books and discussed other topics. Colton told me about working for his neighbors and how much he enjoyed working outside. He told me that he didn't care about appearances, but how people treated him. I listened to him as he talked.

"You're pretty cool, Luke," Colton mentioned.

"I like to think that I connect with people on a different level. You remind me of a friend I had. He was like you that he didn't trust many people. He had reasons, but he trusted me," I explained.

"It's nice to have someone to listen to me. No one listens or cares about me," Colton mumbled.

"Then I would like to change that. We can meet here on the same day and time. You can talk to me, and I'll listen. As a counselor, I'm not allowed to discuss you with anyone since it's confidential," I explained.

"But I'm seventeen. Don't you need a parent's permission?" Colton asked me.

"Usually, unless the school's social worker steps in and contacts me. When a school contacts the state regarding minor children, they do it because there's a significant issue at home," I answered.