Teens

Luke

I come to understand the more I fought Amelia about her friends, the more resistance I encountered. I let it go. Nat and I didn't like Aria and Lily. We felt their influence is terrible with Amelia and knew Amelia would have to learn on her own.

We went through the gawky teen years with Amelia as she grew into a beautiful young lady. The summer before her freshman year, we encountered Amelia's transformation. I sighed, knowing that boys would take an interest.

We sat Amelia down and explained a few key details to her.

"Lia, your mom and I understand that high school will pose a significant impact on you, including boys. I know you want to date, but not every intention is good," I reasoned.

"What do you mean?" Amelia asked.

We looked at Amelia's innocence and knew she would have to make choices and hope they're right.

"Some boys want sex and mistreat you. We're not saying every boy but most. If a boy says or does anything that makes you uncomfortable, you have the right to say no," I advised.

"How will I know who is the right boy?" Amelia asked.

"The boy will show you that he deserves you. You might not see him at first, but he will show you his heart. Pay attention," I reasoned.

"Can I tell you something?" Amelia asked me.

"You can tell me anything," I answered.

"There's one boy that I like, but I'm afraid to tell him. I don't think he'll like me back," Amelia whispered.

I looked at Amelia and smiled. "When you tell this boy, I would like to meet him before he takes you on your first date. Every boy should pick up a girl and meet her parents," I advised.

"Okay," Amelia answered, smiling.

I hoped that we raised Amelia right, and she made decisions based on the values we instilled in her. No father wants to see their baby hurt, especially when they meet a boy and bring him home. We hope that the boy loves her as much as we do. That's all we can hope for with our children.

********
Colton

I worked for the neighbors earning money. A woman moved in across the street from us. I walked over to her house and knocked on the door. I knocked on the front door.

The woman answered it. "Can I help you?" She asked.

"My name is Colton, and I live across the street. I do work for the neighbors earning money. I came to offer my services," I offered.

The woman looked at me. "How old are you?" She asked.

"Fifteen, ma'am," I answered.

"Do you solicit work from strangers?" The woman asked.

"No, ma'am. I can offer recommendations from my neighbors. I complete all my work and cause no problems," I assured the woman.

"Well, I do need yard work done," the woman mentioned.

I nodded.

"I'll tell you what, you make sure my yard looks nice, and I'll pay you," the woman offered.

"Yes, ma'am," I agreed.

The woman looked at me as I looked at her. She came out of the house and showed me the shed that held the tools I would need. I checked the lawnmower and made sure it worked. I threaded the weed eater and gathered everything that I needed.