Why are you here?

Natalie

I fed Amelia as Rayne washed Amelia's clothes. Someone knocked at the door, and Rayne answered it. Rayne spoke to the person and looked at me.

"A woman claims that she's your mother," Rayne mentioned.

I laid Amelia down in her bouncer, then got up slowly. I shuffled to the door to see my mom standing there.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I heard that I have a grandchild. I came to see it," my mom answered.

"Okay, Amelia, not it," I replied, feeling annoyed.

"It doesn't matter. I knew you would that boy would get you pregnant. That's the type of person he is," my mom remarked.

Now I felt irritated.

"Excuse me. You're talking about my son, and I don't appreciate your comments," Rayne informed my mom.

"Then perhaps you should have raised your son better than you did," my mom retorted.

"Lady, my son is the most amazing person you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. Luke has more class in his pinky than you do in your entire body. You might come from money, but that doesn't mean squat with personality," Rayne snapped.

"How dare you?" My mom huffed.

"No, you don't get to stand there and act like a snide bitch. You came to my son and daughter's house, demanding to see a child you called it. Luke told me what you called my daughter, and I disapprove of your behavior," Rayne told my mom.

"Natalie is my daughter," my mom snapped.

"Biology doesn't make a parent. You are or aren't. You gave birth to Natalie, but you're not her parent. Natalie is mine and Tom's daughter. Now go away before I call the police," Rayne ordered my mom.

My mom looked at me as I looked at her.

"Natalie," my mom said.

"My mom is right. You need to leave," I said, closing the door on my mom.

I looked at Rayne as she held up her arms to me. I hugged her as she hugged me. Biology doesn't make a parent. You are or aren't. Rayne is more of a mother to me than my mother. I might not have had the best parents growing up, but Luke gave me one and a family.

Rayne released me, and I walked back over to Amelia. I sat down and picked her up, holding her in my arms. She looked at me as I smiled. Rayne went back to folding clothes.

"Thank you," I said to Rayne.

"There's no need to thank me. You're family, and that's what family does for each other. I want you to remind Luke that when he has the option to walk away from someone who needs help that he doesn't. A child deserves someone to love them even when they're acting unlovable," Rayne reasoned.

I nodded as I finished feeding Amelia. I saw where Luke got his sense of right and wrong. It's an admirable trait.

******
Luke

I came home, and my mom told me what happened to Nat's mom. I can't say that it surprised me because it didn't. Nat's parents showed how selfish they are.

I walked over and kissed Nat; then, I picked up Amelia. She looked at me and smiled a toothless grin. I chuckled.

Mom made dinner as Dad arrived to join us. When Nat felt better, we wouldn't need Mom as we do now. It doesn't matter because we enjoyed spending time with our parents. Plus, they adored Amelia.