Chapter 20

Unintended Wounds: Battling Frustration and Guilt

(Niharika)

I was sitting on the couch, wearing Ved's coat, my mind reeling from the recent events. Tears had streamed down my face as I clung to Ved, seeking solace in his arms. After composing myself, he gently helped me up and guided me to the sofa, his protective presence still surrounding me.

"Take your time, Niharika. I'm here for you," Ved said softly, his voice filled with compassion.

I sniffled, trying to control my emotions. "I'm so scared," I confessed, my voice quivering.

Ved cupped my face, his touch both comforting and reassuring. "You don't have to be scared anymore. I won't let anyone hurt you," he promised, his eyes filled with determination.

As Ved stood up to fetch some water, a wave of fear washed over me. The room suddenly felt suffocating, and my thoughts spiraled out of control. The memories of the past resurfaced, the green-eyed monster haunting my every thought. My heart pounded, and I instinctively reached out, grabbing Ved's wrist, desperate for him not to leave my side.

"Please, don't go," I whispered, my voice trembling with fear. "I can't be alone right now. I'm terrified of what might happen."

Ved's gaze softened, and he gently squeezed my hand, understanding the depth of my anxiety. "Niharika, I promise you, I won't leave you alone. Trust me," he said, his tone gentle but unwavering.

But the mere thought of being alone with my fears overwhelmed me. The room closed in, and a sense of impending doom washed over me. I tightened my grip on Ved's wrist, my breathing growing shallow and rapid. Panic consumed me, and darkness clouded my vision.

Sensing my distress, Ved quickly moved closer, pulling me into his embrace. He held me tightly against his chest, his strong arms offering a sense of security. "Breathe with me, Niharika. In... and out. You're safe here with me," he whispered, his voice a lifeline in the midst of chaos.

But my body trembled, and tears streamed down my face as the panic attack intensified. The memories of the past blended with the present, blurring the lines between reality and the nightmares that haunted me. Each breath became a struggle, and I felt as if I were drowning in my own fear.

"I can't go through this again," I managed to say between sobs, my voice filled with vulnerability. "I'm so scared he'll find me."

Ved continued to hold me, his touch a constant source of comfort amidst the turmoil. He stroked my hair gently, his voice filled with empathy. "I understand your fear, Niharika. But you're not alone anymore. I won't let him near you. I promise," he reassured me, his words like a soothing melody in the midst of chaos.

Gradually, his presence and his soothing voice began to anchor me. With each word, each stroke of his hand, I felt a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness. I focused on his steady heartbeat, matching my breaths to his, slowly regaining control over the panic that had threatened to consume me.

As the panic subsided, I felt Ved's warmth and support surrounding me. The green-eyed demon faded away, replaced by the strength and love that Ved exuded. He gently ran his hand through my hair, comforting me as I slowly regained my composure.

"You're safe now, Niharika. Nothing will harm you as long as I'm here," Ved whispered, his voice filled with conviction.

I nodded, feeling a mix of exhaustion and gratitude wash over me. "Thank you." I whispered, my voice filled with deep appreciation for the unwavering support he had shown me.