Chapter 21

A heavy silence follows our outbursts. Multiple thoughts run in my head like panicked people desperately trying to save themselves. Should I kiss him with a burning passion as they do in the movies ? Should I apologize ? If yes, what for ? Should I stay silent ? Should I kick him ? Should I run away ? What the hell am I supposed to do ?!

As my mind is quickly making a decision, I look up at Ael. His green eyes also show his inner turmoil. We are both prisoners of our thoughts. Why is everything always getting out of hand ?

My eyes look for something that could break the ice between us. In the corner of the room, I notice a small aquarium. I remember seeing it when I first arrived and wondering if aliens had fishes as pets just like humans.

"Why do you have a fish tank ? I was wondering while cleaning if you had a fish and if you did, why is it not here anymore ?"

Smiling sadly, Ael responds:

"My goldfish, the closest friend I had, died: he drowned in his own water. I don't want to talk about it, it's still quite recent and I still miss him a lot."

His voice tone suddenly changes as he keeps talking:

"But don't act like you care when you're not. I'm fine with either being loved or being hated, but constantly living in uncertainty and deceit, that I can't. I don't want fake love but the most genuine and intense that is."

After saying that, Ael leaves the apartment. Again. Just when I thought we were finally getting somewhere !

The next days passed in a blur.

Our relationship is very strange. Before he was just ignoring me and now we're just awkward with each other. And he still doesn't want to tell me the reason behind his anger. Perhaps he doesn't even know why he's angry.

As time elapsed, my loneliness grew more and more excruciating. I've been a complete vegetable and still am.

But today, I'm suddenly fed up with sitting here, all alone, in a flat that doesn't remind me of any good memories and in which there's nothing to do. I'm fed up with being like a desperate housewife waiting for her husband to return. That's why I decide to go see Amelia around 5pm Tyaron will still be at work and Amelia finishes school at that time.

So, just before five o'clock, I dress up in a casual style and head out to visit my soon-to-be best friend (at least I hope). I lost everything I had when I met Ael, I now have to build a new life here, whether I want it or not. And for me, home is where family is. In the absence of family, home is friends. That's the reason why I have to force myself to make new friends.

After a twenty-minute walk in the long corridor, looking for Amelia's flat (since no one bothered to tell me where she lived), I finally find a very colorful door with a writing in capital letters: "Tyaron and Amelia" along with a big heart. A very girly door I must say... I don't think the huge ape that serves her as a companion had his say in the matter. Or perhaps he just let her do what she wanted because he's so whipped for her. At least their apartment is easy to find...

I have a lump in my throat, my hands sweat way too much, my breathing quickens, yet I'm not afraid.

Correction: I'm terrified. It seems all willpower has left my body but if I want things to get better I have to enter this damn flat.

I turn the knob of the door. I expected Amelia to welcome me, wearing an apron or holding a mob or even trying some dresses. Instead of that, I'm welcomed by darkness. As I'm not a bat and didn't suddenly develop a nocturnal vision, I can't see anything. I start walking carefully on the carpeting. My steps are muffled. 

A snore suddenly catches my attention. It seems I'm not alone after all. Next question is: who is producing that sound ? Is it someone or something ? All things considered, it could just be a cat. I absolutely love cats: my favorites are the persans, the British shorthairs and the burmeses. I'm a sucker for these cute little creatures. Did you know that once, a cat was the mayor of a city in Alaska ? Or that it was Isaac Newton who created the cat flap ? My greatest wish is to have one of these small fur balls. Sadly, I'm totally unable to take care of a living being without harming it. I had a goldfish once and I poisoned him (I still don't know how). I killed my cactus (very rare and original talent I must add). And, last but not least, I killed my rabbit (my mom always told me it wasn't my fault but I believe my numerous hugs eventually killed him). Geez, I should really find a way to stop talking nonsense when I get nervous.

Anyways, I decide to walk towards the cute snoring animal. I can't wait to take it in my arms and hug it ! A couple steps more and I glimpse its fur. It is so hairy ! My hands move on their own and start patting it. Weirdly, the fur's texture doesn't seem like anything I've seen before. In fact, it doesn't even feel like an animal's fur...

***********************************************************************************************

Hi guys ! We're back again ! 

We missed you a lot and we're happy to finally be able to update. We hope your school year started nicely. 

Thank you for the 2.5K views ! We don't think we'll ever thank you enough for your love and support.  

With that being said, we hope you enjoyed the chapter. Keep on voting and commenting :)

See you next Tuesday !

Lots of love,

Siripoppo