Chapter 18

"No."

What did I hear ? Did I perceive it right ? Did he really say "No" ? I thought he wanted our relationship to move forward. He is not consistent.

"No. I can't sit if you are not comfortably seated."

Oh. I didn't see that one coming. It's a really cute gesture from him. For a minute I really got scared.

Ael rushes back to the apartment then runs back holding a cushion. Now that I'm at ease, the big alien finally sits by me on the hard floor. I give him a questioning look that makes him say:

"I am quite good, don't worry mate."

That being said, I look away as red as a beetroot. We open different tubes of paint and begin to paint. Everything is going smoothly but I'm longing to ask him something that will surely end this blissful moment. I really hate myself for not being able to spend a single good moment with my mate and for always ruining the mood.

"Why haven't you given up on me ?"

To my great surprise he answers with a shrug.

"There were a couple of times where I thought I had to let go. However I can't help but always come back to you. You are undoubtedly a spider: I'm like trapped in your web."

His beautiful sentence leaves me speechless. Everything is just so perfect in him: he has beauty and the most beautiful soul. He is quite simply extraordinary.

"A couple of times ?"

"I come from a far-off planet. You know it's my second time on Earth: I visited it two decades ago. This ship is like a home to us, even though it's separated from the others. There are 17 other ships similar to this one that meet up every five years to take stock of those who have found their mate. They roam around the entire universe so that we can find our mate. I've sought you for eight years. As you can imagine it's been a very long and exhausting journey both mentally and physically. All I could do was waiting for the soul that would complete me. I looked for you everywhere. Earth was the last planet we had to visit before going to planets situated at the other end of the galaxy. Now that I think of it, this waiting felt like an abnormally long night. I continuously waited for you, my savior to end this gloomy night filled with sorrow and pain. I've always been alone with my brother Tyaron. All the others were with their loved one while I was desperately alone. Sometimes I wished I could disappear, I wished every single memory of me would be erased so I could finally be at peace in this other night called death. That was the first time I wanted to give up on you.

The second time was when I realized that you Humans hid from us. To you we were the bad guys while we wanted to be the good ones. I couldn't bear the thought of my mate loathing me. But meeting you changed everything. From the moment I saw you I realized it was selfish from me to leave you. I promised myself that no matter how many times you'd reject me I'll always stay by your side and be like a guardian angel to you. And you did reject me. Twice. But I kept on smiling and hoping. I still do. Hope is the last thing dying in someone's soul.

I'm glad I didn't give up. Because now I know what it feels like to be happy with my mate."

After Ael's speech, we finished painting in silence. We spent the rest of the day laughing to no end while decorating the apartment. The only thing I can say is that I finally feel happy and I also feel like I belong here. All thanks to Ael.
***********************************************************************************************
Hi guys! We hope you're doing well. Sorry for not always posting at the same hour: we're having some troubles coordinating. We don't always have WiFi and we don't spend our holidays together so it makes things a little harder.
Anyways here's the chapter. And unfortunately we're getting closer to the end of the story. We hope you still enjoy it. See you next week!
Lots of love,
Siripoppo