90. Keychains

Author's note: Would you like me to publish special chapters for holidays? They would be one shots that don't exactly connect to the storyline but would include the characters. Comment yes or no if you have an opinion.

~~~Your point of view~~~
       You had been working for the Joker for almost two weeks and the jobs he had given you were by far some of the oddest you had ever received. Sometimes he'd just have you follow him around and spout nonsense at you, or he'd have you command the henchmen for a day which consisted of telling them to do push-ups at random times in the day but otherwise just standing around cluelessly, and on rare occasions he'd have you help dispose of a body or two. Joker had surprisingly kept his word and you and Adrien had remained unharmed. Over the past few days you had been sending Morse code back and forth with Tim using your keychain. The nights weren't the warmest, so you and Adrien had to huddle under the one set of blankets from the bed. Adrien had only woken you once all week and it had just been a henchman walking past the room. He hadn't even stopped to look in. You were waiting until you could get the opportunity to get everyone onto the roof of the hospital where the boys could save you and Adrien. The opportunity finally presented itself when you were assigned to help Joker with torturing people on the roof of the hospital. You couldn't understand why they chose the roof but you decided to not look a gift horse in the mouth. You had asked if Adrien could come with you, and though the thought of seeing torture disgusted him, you managed to convince him to come. Everyone was standing on the roof of the hospital. The only feature was a faded helicopter pad. Four men were lined up at the edge of the roof. As far as you knew they were also criminals, but that wasn't your concern right now. Your job was to keep Adrien and yourself from dying on the roof of an abandoned hospital. You sent a Morse code "S.O.S" to Tim as your signal that you'd be on the roof. You looked around, waiting to see if the boys had arrived yet. You focused back on the 4 men in front of you. "Oh (Y/n)!" the Joker hollered for you. You moved to stand next to him. "One of these men has been working for Batsy! I want you to exterminate them!" His crazed eyes scared you and you pulled your gun out of its holster. You knew none of them were guilty of contacting Mr. Wayne because that had been you. You were certain that the Joker knew it too. You raised your gun to the head of the first man, but you hesitated. You hadn't actually killed anyone before. Sure you had dealt with dead people, but they had already been killed by someone else. "What are you waiting for (Y/n)? Have you gone soft working for the Bat for too long?" You squeezed your eyes shut as you were exposed. "Victor make your pathetic excuse for a child shoot these men and maybe I'll spare the Wolf boy. You pressed your finger against the trigger again, struggling to decide what to do. You could shoot this man and save Adrien or you could refuse and fail your mission. You felt a gun against the back of your head. Looks like your father was going to choose for you. When you glanced behind yourself, it wasn't your father aiming to shoot you. The Joker was right behind you with the barrel of his gun pressed against the back of your head. You closed your eyes and prepared to pull the trigger.
"This wasn't the deal!" Your father shouted. "You said you wouldn't hurt her!"
"You should have listened to her from the start. My decisions depend on how I feel, and right now I feel like exterminating a bat!" The Joker cackled.
"Don't hurt her!" You could hear a gun click and you glanced over to your father who had a gun aimed straight at Joker. Harley watched with terror filled eyes.
"Dad?" You whispered, staring at the mystery of a man near you. He had spent most of your life under the influence of one substance or another and using it as an excuse to hurt you, but now he was going to die for you. Maybe he had changed. You heard a gunshot and your father crumpled to the ground. You took your chances and elbowed Joker in the gut, ducking away from the firing of his gun. You sped towards Adrien who was running as far from the action as he could. The two of you were being backed up against the edge of the roof by the henchmen. You put yourself between Joker's army and Adrien. This wouldn't end well. Suddenly you heard Adrien shout. You glanced behind you to find he was wrapped in green vines and being pulled off the building. Ivy? You felt another grab you, but you didn't try to fight it. You'd rather take on just Ivy than all of Joker's men by yourself. You felt Ivy place you on the helicopter pad with Adrien as she started slashing through Jokers ranks. You shot at them from behind, allowing her to take of fewer at a time. "Adrien get down!" You shouted and he immediately dropped towards the ground. You tried to aim for shoulders, hands, and legs; you didn't want to kill. You felt another presence during at the men from next to you. You shot a quick look through the corner of your eye to see a shining red helmet. "Thanks for coming!" You shouted over the combat as the other bats jumped down to start fighting.
"How could I miss a party like this?" He responded. You could tell he was smirking under his helmet. You leaped down from where Ivy had set you.
"Guard Wolf!" You shouted before running towards your father's fallen figure. Fighting continued raging around you in various forms. You were happy none of the bats went for Ivy since she hadn't attacked them. You had a feeling she was there for Harley. "Dad!" You slid down next to him. He was coughing up blood. "Who shot you?" You tried to stop the bleeding. As bad as he was before, he had just saved you, and no matter how much you hated to admit it, he was still your father.
"I'm not sure," he rasped, choking from the pain.
"You'll be ok!" You pressed against the wound, but you knew he was running out of time.
"Honey, it's ok," he tried to raise his hand to your face, but he faltered and it fell back to his side. The noise died down as the Joker's henchmen were eventually all stopped. Many had tried to run after realizing they were clearly outmatched. "I'm glad I got to be good to you before this happened."
"You were finally sober," you began to choke up. "You saved me. I'm so proud of you." Tears fell from your eyes as you watched him struggle to breathe. You were covered in his blood, but you didn't care. You had him back for a few days and you hadn't even believed he was sober. You didn't think he cared or would try to actually protect you. Now you were losing him all over again.
"Thanks honey," he whispered hoarsely. "At least I can't relapse now."
"Don't talk like that Dad. You stayed strong for months. You could have kept going!" You tried to keep his eyes open.
"I heard you helped your friend from making the same mistakes as me. You're so successful and talented baby girl." You watched as a tear rolled down his cheek. "I'm so proud of you."
"Thanks dad," you murmured as you cried. No matter how much you wanted to hate him, you couldn't. You remembered everything good he did when you were little. He and your mom would take you to the park and for ice cream. They'd read you stories and play games with you, and even in the past two weeks, he had brought you takeout from restaurants and dessert you had been too skeptical to eat. You watched as your dad's breathing became even weaker. "Tell mom I miss her and I love her." You sobbed. Your dad nodded ever so slightly before he stopped breathing. You let out a choked scream as your bloody hands dropped to your sides. "I love you too dad." You made no move to stand up even when you heard movement behind you. A gun was cocked against your head. Joker. You couldn't seem to move. Everything hurt from fighting and everything you had done for the past two weeks rattled in your head.
"Your dad isn't here to save you now," he sneered behind you. More tears fell from your eyes as your brain replayed the scene of him getting shot while trying to save you.
"You're right. He's not," you sobbed. Your shoulders shook heavily.
"She has more than one dad you *sshole!" Jason was holding a metal baseball bat from one of the henchmen and swung it hard against the Jokers head. You could hear it make contact before the Joker crumpled to the ground behind you. Jason pulled your shaking figure against his chest as he tried to console you. "It's ok (Y/n). You're ok." Tim, Dick, and Damian were the next to land on the roof.

~~~Tim's point of view~~~
I landed on the roof to find Jason holding a sobbing (Y/n) Dick went to go help Adrien down and I slowly approached the two. I pulled the keychain out from my belt. I knew she had given it to me as kids but I had never asked where she got it from. Something inside me just felt like she needed it back. I managed to grab her attention as I held out the keychain for her. She looked at it and sobbed some more. I noticed that her hands and forearms were coated in blood, but she didn't seem injured. Then I shifted my gaze to the body next to her. "He saved me! I spent his final days being skeptical and mean and he saved me!" She screamed into Jason's chest.
"I thought you might want this back," I offered. She only shook her head violently.
"Dad gave it to me to keep me safe right after mom died. He would always know if I was ok if I responded to his buzz. He has no need for it now," she sniffled even more as though she was trying her hardest to compose herself.
"Then...," I looked down at the keychain in my hand. "I think it belongs with you." I offered it to Jason. He looked up at me in shock before taking it from me. He pressed the buzzer and I could hear a low buzz come from (Y/n)'s pocket.
"I'm so sorry (Y/n)," Adrien approached us, carefully avoiding his gaze from the dead man on the ground next to us. "This might not have happened if you didn't have to save me."
"Don't feel bad Adrien. The Joker would have killed him no matter what. Anything to hurt Batman. Anything to twist what should be light into something dark and horrifying," she responded. "You know my past. Now you know that this is what happens in Gotham. It's a never ending battle. You should return to Metropolis as soon as possible." Adrien nodded and looked around unsure of how to leave. Dick put a hand on his shoulder before guiding him to the edge and using a grapple hook to take him down. Bruce landed next to me.
"Will she be okay?" I asked him. Bruce nodded.
"She's strong. Besides, our family is made of people from broken ones. She'll be fine," he explained. I looked back at Jason and (Y/n) I felt weird knowing I didn't have the same connection with (Y/n) as before. I used to be able to buzz her to check up on her. I'd given Jason my keychain, but he would keep her safe. I heard the buzz one more time before Jason picked her up and we all headed back to the manor.