Chapter 32 - The Honorary Son

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Assalamu'Alaykum everyone! It's Sumaya here :) All of you guys have been so patient and kind waiting for me to update and I've been so caught up in my personal life that I haven't been writing as much. Butttt here is a little gift for your kindness. Enjoy!

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

***

Warsan's P.O.V

I buckled my seat belt and reclined my seat as Junaid sat in the driver's seat. He looked at me suspiciously before starting the car. I raised an eyebrow and sat up. 'What?' I asked.

He drummed his fingers over the steering wheel and kissed his teeth. 'I'm going to ask you something and I need you to be honest with me.' His tone was unusually relaxed given his strange demeanour. I knew my brother well. He was being protective. I just didn't know exactly why.

'Okay...' I responded. In all honesty, I was confused beyond measure. What was it? Was I too comfortable in front of Dawud and Laith? Or maybe it was the way I shouted for my brother while he was chatting with them? My mind raced with hundreds of potentialities but came to a quick halt when my older brother ultimately proposed the question.

'Do you and Laith have a thing going on?' He questioned me with his eyebrows knitted together. Was he being serious right now? The car was soundless for a moment. I felt my mouth drop with shock before the laughter took over. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I couldn't stop until the tears fell from my face. My hand reached out and held the dashboard for support as the other hand clutched my stomach.

I struggled to even get the words out. 'Me and-' I chuckled. 'Laith and me?' I blurted, throwing my head back in a fit of giggles. Junaid scratched his neck, embarrassed he had even asked.

'Bro, I don't know how you muslamics do it nowadays! How am I supposed to know?' He defended. I wiped the tears from my cheeks before swatting his arm.

'Muslamics? Sorry to burst your bubble but you are a muslamic too, whatever that even means.' I returned sharply. In all seriousness, Junaid needed to gain some knowledge. My thoughts traced back to the subject at hand. 'No, Laith and I do not have a thing going on. We seem like polar opposites. Plus, he is unquestionably on my list of disliked individuals.' I added. The memory of what he had done to Jannah at that basketball game over a year ago played in my mind. I shuddered at the thought.

Junaid sighed in relief. 'I can't lie, I was getting worried. But he likes you. It was practically written on his forehead.' I was silent for some time. He had to be joking. 'Please tell me you're not that clueless, Warsan. You didn't notice how he froze like a statue? He couldn't even return your salam!' He added.

It was embarrassing to admit that I hadn't even noticed! I've never had a boy around my age actually like me. I suppose I've been used to that reality for far too long that I closed myself off to any chances of it happening. What I found crazy was that even as Junaid explained it to me again, there was a part of me that didn't believe him. It was rare that he spoke so intensely and certain about a matter but I still felt like this was just one big joke. I let out a sheepish chuckle 'It is what it is.' I stated, sitting back in my chair. He looked at me with astonishment and I shrugged.

'You're acting like a guy. I think I've rubbed off on you too much.' He teased me light-heartedly.

'I am one of the honorary sons of the family... as Mom would say.' We both laughed but inside I was withering. I couldn't even process what this conversation made of me. I'd have to speak to Jannah and Muna about this. I wasn't good at this girly stuff.

Jannah's P.O.V

I finished my braid, tieing the last end up with an elastic. Dawud and I were both in the bathroom. He was taking a shower while I did my hair. As I put my supplies away, I listened to his story. 'Are you sure?' I asked him for a third time, still in disbelief. He stuck his face out of the shower, revealing a head covered in shampoo suds. I grinned at him looking so silly. Even in this state, he was the most handsome human I've laid my eyes on. He bit back a smile and retreated behind the curtain. 'I just don't see it. I literally cannot picture them together. My mind doesn't allow it.' I admitted, sitting on the cushioned lid of the toilet.

Dawud was quiet for a moment. 'Well, you never know. Who would've thought you and I would end up together?' He asked. 'I never thought I'd get the privilege of calling myself your husband... it baffles me to this day.' He revealed. 'So, who knows what the future entails.' Dawud added. From the melodious tone of his voice, I knew how much he meant those words.

'Don't be crazy.' I rolled my eyes, slapping the curtain with my hand. We both laughed. 'I can say the same thing about you.'

The water stopped streaming from the showerhead and Dawud reached out to grab his towel. I stood up and headed for the door. 'Goodnight, Dawud. I love you.' I called out over my shoulder. It was only 8 pm, but my cramps had taken all the energy from me. I wanted to call it a night earlier than usual.

'Sleep well, habibti. I love you.' He answered behind the closed door.

As I slipped under the covers, I thought about it some more. What about Uthman? What would Warsan do if Laith proposed to her? Would she turn him down to wait for the boy of her dreams to step up and ask for her hand? What if... what if he never does?

I groaned, hoping to silence the speedy thoughts playing over and over in my head. I read Surah Al-Mulk and did my athkaar before letting fatigue pull me into sleep.