Chapter 2 - Dawud's Birthday

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

***

Jannah's P.O.V

I woke up earlier than Dawud. The sun was now spilling over the living room as I set my laptop on my lap. Before my eyes, a documentary on climate change began to play, grabbing every bit of my attention. The high-quality motion picture was the only thing on my mind - so much so, I didn't notice Dawud sitting at my side. I pulled out an earphone and began to laugh. 'How long have you been sitting there?' I asked, leaning over to kiss him on the cheek.

He smiled and leaned against me, closing his green eyes. 'Like, ten minutes. What are you watching?' He questioned, gesturing over to my laptop. I told him about the documentary, causing him to smile uncontrollably. 'I've had an influence on you, eh?' He teased. I rolled my eyes. 'Being married to an avid gardener has you worried about the environment.' Dawud concluded. I shut my laptop and placed it in on the little table in front of us. Running my hands through his hair, I brought his face closer to mine.

'Happy Birthday, Dawud.' I whispered. He chuckled, shaking his head. 'I know you don't celebrate it,' I said in defense, 'but I still wanted to say it.' His cheeks began to flush as he bit his lip. I studied the way his hair fell over his face as he leaned away shyly. 'And I know you don't take gifts on your birthday, but this isn't for your birthday.' I began to explain. Dawud turned his head in my direction and raised an eyebrow. 'It's just a gift from your loving wife.' I added, biting my lip and secretly praying he'd accept it.

'What is it?' He asked me cocking his head.

I held out a finger and rose to my feet. 'You just wait here, okay? Don't move.' I said over my shoulders as I raced to our bedroom. I dashed towards the bed and slipped a hand into my pillowcase, pulling out an envelope with ease. I looked above me, whispered bismillah, and walked back over to Dawud. He was sitting just as he was on the couch, wearing a grey t-shirt and navy blue pajama pants. He looked dashing, even when it was nine in the morning. Plopping myself next to him, I shifted my body and crossed my knees, facing him directly. He did the same, a bit sluggish, provoking a laugh from my end. From his face, I could tell he didn't want to turn down the gift. I read in his eyes that he wasn't sure how to reject it, making my heart melt. 'I know you don't accept gifts.' I said again. 'But this isn't something you will be able to reject.' Dawud's eyebrows pulled together in confusion and he scratched his dark beard. 'I've taken note of the long hours at work, the missing pay cheques, the occasional empty fridge. It made me realize how hard we've all been on you. Expectations here, and there. You're supposed to run an entire business on your own, go to school full-time, be a husband and support your wife? Habibi, not everyone is Superman.' I joked. Dawud sent a small and humble smile my way. 'It made me curious as to what is going on, and seeing as though I'm your wife, I felt the need to help you out.'

Dawud looked up at me. 'Jannah, what on earth did you do?'

'Well, I couldn't help it! The letter was there, stuffed in the nightstand, begging for me to read it and I was bored and you were running late from work and so I read it, and I know I shouldn't have, but I'm glad I did because we were able to do this for you.' I exclaimed, all in one breathe.

Dawud's eyes fell with defeat as he put his head in his hands, fully aware of what I was talking about. After a few seconds, his head turned to me. 'What do you mean by "we"?'

'Your mother, my mother, my father, Abdallah, Mariam, Akhlaaq, Muna, Warsan and a few friends at the bookstore. We've all collectively brought the funds together to help you repay the debt.' I said quietly. Dawud gasped, looking at me with full concentration. He attempted to speak, sputtering out sounds and letters that didn't make any sense. I laughed, hard, taking him by the shoulders. 'Breathe, Dawdie. I don't want to tell everyone you died at twenty-one-years-old.'

'Seven thousand dollars.' He blurted, blinking uncontrollably.

I shook my head. 'Twenty.' He pulled at the hair on his head, rocking back and forth in complete shock and disbelief. 'Your university and bookstore fees included.'

Dawud rose to his feet and shuffled into the hallway. I sat there, holding the paper in my hand, frozen. I thought he would like it. I didn't mean to upset him. A few seconds later, he returned, clutching his blue inhaler. 'Sorry, I was short of breath.' He admitted. 'Jannah, I don't know what to say. I'm so baffled. You know I'm not good with words.' Dawud explained.

I nodded understandingly. 'I know, Dawud, I know. But this is nothing compared to what you've done for everyone. I've been married to you since March and we are now in September. You've been able to put me in absolute bliss while you, yourself, have been struggling financially to keep this roof on our heads, food on the table, and contentment in my heart. And I'm not the only one. Your mother was the first one to back me on this and contacted as many people as she could; friends and family. To my surprise, Eman's parent's donated the most and didn't want you or me to find out about it.' I explained. Dawud's lips parted with bewilderment. 'My father contacted the Canadian Board of Imams, who also donated generously. Our friends and family gave as much as they could too. Dawud, everyone was moved by your story. It's not every day that you find a pious, kind-hearted, mature and married twenty-one-year-old who troubles himself for the wellbeing of others.'

I opened my mouth to continue but Dawud grabbed me before I could even speak. Kissing me on the lips, cheeks, and forehead, he wept restlessly. 'I love you Jannah. By Allah, I love you so much.' We sat there, entangled in one another. 'Today was supposed to be your day, you know that right?' He said after some time.

'Ohhh, yes. Didn't you have a special itinerary for the day?' I asked him, tracing the lines embedded in his palms.

'Your gift beats mine, I promise you that.'

And with that, he set his head in my lap and I caressed his dark brown locks. His eyes began to close slowly, and it was the most beautiful sight I'd seen in all my nineteen years.