Chapter 48: Laith the Child

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

***

Jannah's P.O.V

I entered our bedroom and greeted my husband who was swaddled up in a blanket like a burrito. 'Hello, pretty lady.' Dawud spoke, smirking gleefully.

'Hello, pretty man.' I returned. We chuckled. He was wearing a navy blue t-shirt that complemented his pale tone. His hair was a spiralling mess as always and my heart pulsated at the sight of his droopy green eyes. 'Are you tired?' I inquired, already knowing the answer.

'Yes, and if it is possible, I would like to solicit some company.' He stated.

I threw my head back laughing. 'Of course, my good sir.' I played along. I loved winter nights in this apartment. Just the two of us. No students, family, or friends around. Just me and him. I slid in bed next to him as he invited me into his tightly wrapped burrito. I wiggled in and ended up pressed against his warm body. It felt nice, as always.

'The first time we met...' Dawud rustled. I looked up at him, taking in the light freckles fanning across his nose and cheeks. He closed his eyes and beamed. 'The cute little girl filled with anxiety.' He continued.

I covered my face in humiliation. 'Okay, I wouldn't go that far.' I complained, nudging his shoulder. We both giggled.

'Okay, okay. The cute little girl that was too nervous to go into the warehouse with me.' He corrected. I nodded in approval. He looked down at me with his chin up. Dawud's emerald eyes were filled with unspoken emotion. 'Do I still make you nervous?' He croaked. His deep voice alone sent chills down my spine.

'N-no.' I blurted. That was a lie. 'AstaghfirAllah.' I whispered immediately after. I looked down at my hands and attempted to relax. It felt like my body was on fire. 'What kind of question is that...' I murmured, feeling flustered. I still didn't even know how to flirt. My husband was so much better at this than I was. Dawud chuckled as he pulled me closer. He smelt amazing. Like pine and clean clothes.

'Good.' He replied. I let out a trembling exhale. His fingers grazed my cheek. 'Pretty, pretty girl. Allahuma barik.' He whispered before turning around to sleep. He snuggled under the covers and reached out to close the lamp. My heart was still beating ridiculously fast as the lamp clicked shut. 'Come.' He said, drawing me close. I melted deeper into his chest with the passing minutes and it wasn't too long until we both fell asleep.

Warsan's P.O.V

'I was wondering if we could get to know one another, in the presence of your father... for marriage?' Laith asked softly.

I blinked a few times, stunned. Laith unmistakably wasn't shy anymore. My father smiled, alongside my siblings. Hamza watched me eagerly. I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. I sealed my eyes shut and sighed. Ya Allah, give me what is meant for me and protect me from what isn't, I prayed.

My mother cleared her throat in an attempt to break the silence. 'My two lovely sons,' She requested. Everyone turned to her and I was glad that she spoke. The pressing stares were making things harder for me to bear. 'I need you boys outside... the driveway needs shovelling!' They groaned upon hearing the unfortunate news, getting up from the couch sluggishly. 'It'll snow tonight, and I don't want your father to hurt his back tomorrow.' She further explained, escorting them out of the room. The three bickered in the kitchen, leaving Laith, my father, and me in the room.

And for the first time that night, I looked up at Laith. I scanned his face, looking for a detail I couldn't stand. I searched for something I didn't like - but it was to no avail. His skin was smooth and tan. His wavy hair was separated in half, with one side tucked behind his ear and the other half casting out and framing the side of his face. He had sharp cheekbones and almond eyes, which gave him a very pleasing look. His thick but short beard contrasted against the pretty features of his face. He had a beauty mark above his left eyebrow. I looked at his eyes, which were warm. Very warm. And profoundly dark brown. They looked back at me thoughtfully. When he blinked, his lush eyelashes refused to go unrecognized, fanning over his face subtly. I couldn't ignore the swoop of his nose, interrupted by a slight bump in the middle of the bridge. I always said to the girls how much I loved noses like that. A strong nose meant a strong man, I would joke. The girls always called me crazy.

I looked down now, at my fingers, really giving it some thought. I never really paid attention to his looks, but now that I have, it would be a lie to say he was unattractive. As for his personality, everyone - from my two best friends to my own family, has said that Laith changed dramatically. It's just that I had to see this change for myself. It wasn't too long ago that he was tormenting Jannah at work. I sighed. 'There is just one thing, Laith.' I said. My voice left my mouth sounding poised and self-assured. I was glad. 'I have to be real with you. I think very rationally about things, but there is a certain issue that I'm having an incredibly hard time getting past.' I explained. He gulped. 'For a long time, you tormented my best friend. You twisted her wrist, spread rumours about her family and bothered her at work. In my mind, you've been painted the bad guy for as long as I've known you've existed.' I stated bluntly. Laith nodded slowly, biting his lip. 'Everyone and I mean everyone, has been adamant that you've changed and have become this amazing guy, which I'm sure is true. But I don't know your story. All I've seen is one extreme and then the other.' I explained. He pressed his lips together. 'You probably already know this, but I'm very different from your typical girl. I'm blunt, I'm a little too independent and I'm not easily convinced either.' I told him. 'So there is one thing I have to know before I allow you into my space. Why did you do what you did?'

My father looked between the both of us in surprise. He surely didn't know that little fact about Laith and Jannah. I could tell he wanted answers from Laith as well. My father's eyes scanned him with skepticism.

Laith sighed and rubbed his knees. He gulped and winced at the dryness of his throat. I watched him as he took a sip of tea apprehensively. And then he spoke. 'You're a very smart girl, Warsan. I knew we would have this conversation somewhere down the line. I'm glad we're having it now.' He said with a warm smile. 'To answer your question, we'll have to go back to my childhood.' He started. 'I grew up very poor. My father worked as a taxi driver, and we were very close.' His eyes grew wet as he recollected the memories of the past. 'We used to go to the mosque together, every single day. After praying, we would sit in a corner and memorize Quran together. Only then would I be allowed to play with my childhood friend Dawud while my father socialized with Dawud's father, Muhammad. I remember him being so kind. Almost as kind as my Dad. On a Friday during lunch, I waited outside my school's front door. My father and I had a special tradition; Jummah and then lunch together, but on this day... he didn't show up.' Laith's voice lowered in volume. I bit my lip anxiously. 'The principal continuously came outside, worried. She kept on asking if my father was here. He was never, ever late for anything. When class commenced after the break, I returned to my desk, but I couldn't ignore the worry I felt in my stomach. I got so sick that I had to go to the nurse's office. They called my mom, but she wouldn't pick up her phone. My mom never missed a call... especially if it was from the school. When school was over, all the kids laughed and spoke about their plans for the upcoming weekend. But I was quiet. I didn't even know how I would get home. I stood outside the school, feeling like a helpless 10-year-old when Muhammad's car pulled up with his son in the backseat. My mother sent them here to pick me up. Dawud and I laughed and joked in the car. I even forgot about my Dad for few moments. But when I reached home, I understood that nothing was ever going to be the same.' Laith barely got out the words. He was struggling not to cry. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't struggling either.

*Author's Note: What do you guys think about Laith? And tell me why! Is anyone still #teamUthman? Spill the tea!!