Chapter 23: Reunited

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

***

Jannah's P.O.V

I finished praying and folded my prayer mat, placing it on the table next to my bed. Another day had passed, and I spent it in complete seclusion. My mouth began to pull up into a smile as I laughed at myself. So much effort in traveling across the country only to stay in a cabin without stepping foot outside, I thought. In all honesty, none of the outdoor activities would be fun doing alone. I wanted to try them with Dawud. I hoped that he'd come rushing to me as fast as possible. Opening up and speaking to Laith and his mother weren't easy tasks to do. They were for his well-being and mental health though, and it would take a lot of his energy. If he didn't end up coming I wouldn't be upset at him at all. Maybe expecting him to come here after everything that happened was a dream I had to wake up from. Warsan always used to remind me that "It's better to prepare yourself for the worst, because that way, you won't get hurt in the end.".

I decided to do something fun. Whether Dawud came or not, I was going to have a good time. The worry of staying here the entire week by myself took over my peace of mind and wrestled with my tranquility.

Jannah, live a little.

I slipped on a black jilbab (long hijab that has sleeves and falls just at your feet), a book on the five pillars of Islam and my winter coat, heading to the front door. Locking the cabin with my convenient room card, I skipped over to the main hall. I could now remember being told that the lodge had an amazing lounge and smoothie bar.

Dawud's P.O.V

I made it. I got here. Alhamdullilah, I landed safely. I was one of the first passengers to exit the plane and enter the airport.

Jannah, I'm so close. Don't you worry.

Just as I passed through security, two police officers began walking my way. I braced myself for what was yet to come. Wearing a thobe, having a beard, long hair, thick eyebrows and a slightly prominent nose gave my ethnicity away to anyone culturally-aware. And from the way the two officers studied me suspiciously, I was already prepared for what the conversation would look like.

'Hello, sir! You've been selected for a randomized questioning session. Please follow us.' The shorter man said. I followed closely behind them and rolled my eyes. Random... yeah, totally. 'Your name is Mustafa Yunus, right?' He asked me.

I shook my head and pulled out my passport, urging him to take it. 'Dawud Muhammad is the name, sir.' I answered. They apologized for the inconvenience and let me go. I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders immediately, Alhamdullilah.

I got in the first taxi I could get ahold of and headed straight up the snowy hills. To think that Jannah took this journey alone while being upset and disappointed churned my stomach.

But everything happens for a reason, I told myself. Now was my chance to get our relationship back to how it was. And I couldn't wait to hold her, tell her how much I love her and truly make her understand how much she means to me.

I took note of the thick pine trees lining every street. Their smell could be caught even behind the glass of the car window. There were many road signs warning drivers of deer and traveling moose, making it known that we were in Northern Canada.

The car began to drive over a rocky trail, swerving left and right, almost in a repetitive 'S' shape. Then, the lodge came into view. I quickly gave the driver a few bills from my pocket, grateful that he reunited me with my other half. 'Keep the change!' I shouted, slamming the door behind me in a rush. With Jannah's letter in hand, I slowed down my pace after a few seconds, reminding myself to be careful. The oxygen up here sure was fresh, but I was still asthmatic. I had to be careful. We wouldn't want Jannah to see me for the first time in days laying in an ambulance. The large doors to the lodge were made of glass and wood. I pulled them open and walked over to the front desk. The female employee turned in my direction and gestured for me to wait. I tapped my foot uncontrollably. She took a few minutes working hard at stapling brochures before returning to the desk. 'Hello, and welcome to the countries' most luxurious vacation destination. Have you already booked a room?' Her words came out rehearsed and completely emotionless. 'I'm actually looking for my wife. She arrived here a few days before me.' I explained. 'Jannah Sultan.' I added, catching her confused expression.

'Ahh.' She said, typing away at the computer. She opened an iPad attached to the front desk and clicked a few buttons before nodding to herself. 'Ms. Sultan's last transaction on her card was at the smoothie bar a few minutes ago. She must be in her cabin right now.'

I reached for my wallet and nodded. 'How much was the cabin?' I asked, grabbing my credit card.

The employee went through the iPad files again. 'It's already been paid for. The two of you are to stay here for the rest of the week as a complimentary gift from Mr. and Mrs. Sultan.' She explained. I nodded and stepped back, feeling incredibly guilty. It now hit me that this was supposed to be her birthday surprise.

'Thank you.' I said, turning around.

'Wait!' She called out. 'The cabin is the last one on the hill.'

I followed the trail up the hill and with every step, I felt even more apprehensive. A sign with Jannah's name engraved in metal hung on the door of a cabin. It told me that I was where I needed to be. I knocked on the door, hitting my knuckle against it three times. My week seemed to be full of anxious door-knocking. The door swung open and there she was.

Jannah's P.O.V

Dawud stood a few centimetres away. He had my worn-out letter in his shaky hand, heavy backpack strapped behind him, a winter coat covering his upper half and a wooly scarf around his neck. His eyes were brimmed with tears as he stepped even closer towards me. I blinked a few times, wondering if I was hallucinating. His beauty always made glancing at him feel like a dream. When he reached for my cheek and caressed the skin just above my jaw, I closed my eyes, releasing tears I didn't know were there. He stepped even closer, now into the apartment and shut the door behind him. I was blinking uncontrollably, hating the stinging that came alongside the light droplets falling from my eyes. The room was quiet, allowing the only sound to be our breathing.

'I spoke to Laith. And I spoke to my mother.' He said quietly. 'But I have yet to speak to you.'

I felt sick to my stomach. The nervousness, anxiety, worry, and shock of having him speak to me for the first time in so long... it was all taking a toll on me at this moment. His velvety voice made it hard not to crumble right here, on the wooden floor panels of this cabin.

'I didn't treat you justly. I didn't listen to you and I wasn't a good husband in my own affairs and in yours. I fell short of your expectations and for that, I'm so sorry. Habibti, I'm really sorry. I don't know what to say. I thought about it the whole way here, but now that I'm actually in front of you—'

I stood up on my toes and slipped my hands behind his neck, pulling him downwards. Our lips met, and it was a feeling I hadn't felt in a while. My heart fluttered and pounded within the frames of my chest as Dawud pulled away and leaned his forehead against my own. His minty breath fanned over my face as those jade green eyes focused on me. I mustered up the courage to finally speak. 'When you love someone, you want them to make the right decisions and to be happy. This whole journey was never about me, Dawud. I could never hold a grudge against the soul Allah has written for me.' I explained, hugging him even tighter.  'I could never be mad at you. Never.' I repeated. He chuckled against me, filling me up with warmth.

'Jannah, I love you.' He whispered, kissing my forehead. 'I love you for the sake of Allah. Do you know why?' He continued, kissing my cheek. 'It means that you do acts that Allah loves. You keep the ties of kinship. You bring hearts together. You are patient. And I love you for that.' He finally said.

'And I love you.'

Dawud stroked my arm and took note of the goosebumps he caused on my skin. He smiled and walked over to the couch across us, grabbing a knitted blanket from the seat. Wrapping it around me, he guided me over to the fireplace and bent down, encouraging me to sit too. And so I did. We sat there in silence, relishing in each other's company. All gratitude and praise are due to Allah. We were finally reunited.