Chapter 49: Laith the Man

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

A/N: A shout-out goes to my dear sister Hanna <3 Thanks for always being such a kind supporter. Love you

***

Warsan's P.O.V

I took a deep breath and waited for him to continue. My father was as distressed as I was, hanging onto Laith's every last word.

'My mother opened the door and welcomed me with a smile. I could see how red her cheeks were. Her cheeks only became red when she cried. I asked her where Baba was and she took a deep breath. With a strained smile, she asked me to change my clothes. She said she would come upstairs and talk to me in my room, where we could speak alone. I didn't want to be alone because I was scared. But I obeyed my mother's wishes. As I was walking up the stairs, I heard her thank Dawud's father. He asked her what exactly happened. She told him that my father got into an accident on the highway on his way to pick me up from school.' Laith revealed. He closed his eyes after hearing me gasp. It took him a while to open them up again. 'I fainted and fell down the stairs. I hit my head pretty hard, but that was as far as my injuries went. They took me to the hospital. When I woke up, Muhammad and his son, Dawud, were by my side. I asked for my mother. Muhammad explained that she had stayed the whole night by my side but had to leave for an hour to make it to my father's Janazah (funeral prayer). I was extremely close with both my parents, so I felt an immeasurable amount of guilt. Guilt for having my father pass away while trying to pick me up on time, guilt for causing my mother added stress by falling down the stairs, and guilt for not praying at my father's Janazah. I was a very bright, insightful child. I had a lot of empathy. So I started crying. I remember crying for so long. Muhammad and Dawud comforted me. They were so kind. Muhammad called me by my full name and told me the words I don't think I'll ever be able to forget. He held my hand and Dawud's hand and brought them together. Today marks the day that you and Dawud are brothers, he said. You will never feel lonely and will stick by one another's side, forever. Dawud nodded firmly and I followed. And after that day, we were inseparable.' Laith finished. I smiled... but was anxious inside. I knew there was another tragedy waiting to appear. Laith drank some tea before continuing. 'High school came around and that's when everything changed. You know, the data released about fatherless boys is quite heartbreaking.' Laith said, looking at my father. 'Children from fatherless homes are more likely to be poor, become involved in drug and alcohol abuse, drop out of school, and suffer from health and emotional problems.' He added. My father shook his head with disappointment. 'Money was getting tight, and my mother picked up two jobs. I hated seeing her work. My father did everything he could to make sure my mother was comfortable at home, despite how poor we were. I wanted to bring money into the home as he did. The boys Dawud and I grew up with were slowly going down the wrong path, and they were adamant to bring me down with them. The one thing that we had in common was an absent father. Dawud had both his parents. So I convinced myself he didn't know how I felt. They taught me how easy it was to make $300 a night. I left off the Quran because it reminded me of my father. I stopped going to the mosque and gradually stopped going to school. After a few years of this Dawud was starting to grow tired of me. He would advise, me day in and day out. The last three months we spent together were filled with so much arguing. And then I was admitted into juvenile detention. And he never spoke a word to me again. Even when I was released, even when we went to the same university, even when we were on the same basketball team. He was "practicing" and I was not. And I let it get the best of me. I grew so envious of him that I tried so hard to ruin the things that he enjoyed. I did some inexcusable things, like the things you mentioned. It's so crazy, looking back on my foregoing behaviour. I have no excuse for my actions. But, subhan'Allah, I hadn't realized the true reason behind my jealousy and hatred until I actually had a heart-to-heart with Dawud. I understood that I had done those terrible things to him and Jannah in a desperate attempt to speak to him again. I guess that I subconsciously thought one of the terrible things would trigger him and he'd come running my way. And we would finally talk about things. But, Alas, it was just a reflection of my immaturity. And it's not an excuse for what I did. I've asked Dawud and Jannah to forgive me. And I can see that my actions had repercussions that affected you as well, Warsan. I'm sorry for hurting someone you love.' Laith concluded. My throat tightened as I nodded.

'That's okay.' I blurted. A tear fell from my eye. I wiped it immediately causing Laith to laugh.

'Dawud and I spoke about all this a few months ago. Since then, I've been visiting a Muslim therapist regularly to help me cope with my trauma and communicating my emotions. I've restarted my journey of memorizing the Quran again and I'm dedicated to helping troubled youth, just like myself.' Laith spoke with a grin. I smiled too. I was happy to see his face light up. I guess I finally started to see him as a person and not a villain. 'I left my 9-5 office job and started to work from home. It helps me stay away from free-mixing and I also get to spend more time with my mother.' He added. My father chuckled. There was a silence. 'I think that I've grown from my mistakes and have a lot to give to others. I also think that I'm in both a good headspace and position to start the journey of getting to know someone for marriage.' Laith said softly. I blushed. 'I've had my eye on you for a while, as you probably already know.' I let out a laugh before wincing, embarrassed. 'It's okay to laugh, I laugh at myself too.' He said warmly. I looked up and the two of us smiled. My heart swelled up, taking me by surprise. Woah. I wasn't used to that. 'You're independent, strong-willed, slightly careless. You work and take care of your family and have a good set of friends. All the things I've heard about you have been positive. All of it. And you have a charm that you carry with you everywhere you go. I think it's in the way you don't care about how others perceive you. It's really unique.'

I hid my face behind my father's back shyly. 'Thank you.' I muffled, feeling overwhelmed. I really didn't expect to feel this way an hour ago. Wow.

'So, Warsan, what do you say? Would you be interested in getting to know me? For marriage?' He asked again, looking at me through thick eyelashes. His fingers twisted around one another anxiously. I glanced up at my father who emanated a grin similar to my own.

'It would be a privilege.' I blurted before I could stop myself. I've always felt strange and different. Different from other girls, from my brothers, from my parent's expectations. But for the first time, things changed. Something about Laith just made me feel seen and heard. Like I wasn't the odd one out. Like I wasn't strangely different. My heart throbbed again and I looked down at my hands as he smiled at me. Perhaps this was Allah answering my prayer. Perhaps it was Laith who was meant for me all along...