Chapter 28 - Letters from Dawud

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most MercifuL

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

***

Jannah's P.O.V

My key slipped into the lock and I twisted it with ease using my shoulders to push the door open. I nearly dropped the drinks in my hands at the sight of what was in front of me...

About five hearts were floating in the air, tied by a string on the ceiling. Made of paper, they each caught my eye. Trailing down into the living room, colors of red, pink, orange, caramel and burgundy swung idly in the air. They swayed, each with an individual message scribbled on them.

I reached out to read the first one, carefully not to pull it from it's hanging place. My emotions were all over the place.

'Look at you, all sentimental. You know that's one of the things I love about you. How easily you're moved and how you let your emotions guide you. Only foolish people think that's a sign of weakness. But it's a strength many people don't have. I adore you, Jannah.' I read with stinging tears forming in my eyes. Dawud took the time to write all of these? I don't think I'd be able to make it to the last message without being an absolute hysterical mess. I reached for another one.

'Just like the snow hasn't stopped falling since Fajr today, I haven't stopped falling for you since I first laid my eyes on you. I do feel like you and I were made from the same soul but split into two different people. You're the love of my life.' It said. My heart was pounding against my chest as I took a deep breath and let the tears fall. I grabbed the next one.

'I haven't gotten the chance to swoon you lately, at least not in the way I've wanted to. This act is very small, but I know it means a lot to you. I hope you can forgive me for its simplicity but you know, they say that it's the simple things that are the most beautiful. Maybe that's why in the mornings that we wake up together I melt when you stretch and pull me closer like I'm the air you need to survive. Or when I come home and you run towards me like we haven't seen each other in forever. It's the little things... so simple and subtle that one might not even notice it. But I do. And I always will. That's a promise.' I shook my head in disbelief. There wasn't a word to describe how much I loved him. I reached for the next one.

'I get really angry at myself when I remember ruining your birthday. I've apologized before but I'm going to do it one last time. You come first. Above my anger, my sadness, my frustration, and my biggest fears... there's you. I'm so sorry I couldn't see it. And I'm sorry that I couldn't communicate my feelings properly and I'm sorry for shutting you out. I'll do better. I'll be better.' The writing on this one was a little shaky. There were a few blurs of ink, revealing the tears behind the message. I braced myself for the last message. It had the least amount of writing.

'I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love you. I'm in love with you. And it grows, beyond my understanding. I pray that my Lord keeps it that way for eternity. Ameen. Now please turn around, I miss seeing your face.' I blinked several times, adding a few tears of my own onto the paper. Confused beyond measure I turned my body around.

There he was, with a bouquet of red roses in hand, my backpack slung over his shoulder and a large box wrapped in a shiny, glossy paper at his feet. 'Hi.' He spoke shyly. I set the tray of tea on the floor and wandered over to him, keeping my eyes locked with his. His smile grew as I closed the distance between us. He dropped both the gift and the bouquet as I leaped into his arms, hugging him tighter than ever before. He wrapped my legs around his torso with ease and rubbed my back. 'Did you like it? I tried to make this a special night for you.' He whispered in my ear.

I pulled away, legs still crossed around his middle. 'It's not over yet.' I told him, leaning in for a kiss. We kissed for what felt like forever until a shuffle was heard in the hall. Our neighbour Shannon whom I'd met the first day I moved into Dawud's apartment covered her daughter's eyes as she whistled at us. I tried to get down from Dawud's tall body but he didn't let me move an inch.

'Dawud, let me down!' I pleaded.

'Sorry, Mikayla!' He said to the little girl, who was entirely red in the face with jealousy. She was as charmed by Dawud as I was and knew him longer than I had. 'Have a goodnight, Shannon!' He exclaimed stepping into the apartment with a cheeky grin. I was burning with embarrassment.

She winked at the two of us as he closed the front door with his foot. 'I know you two will.' I heard her say from outside.

***

Dawud's P.O.V

I walked out of the shower and stepped out of the washroom with a towel wrapped tightly around my waist. Jannah was in the living room, talking to her sister about the gift I had bought her. I leaned against the wall in the living room, smiling down at her as she played with the gift wrap unaware of my presence. She looked breathtaking in her white robe, wet and curly hair trailing down her back. She was facing the opposite direction with her back facing me. 'Mariam, it's exactly what I needed! I just feel so bad.' She was soundless as her sister asked her why. 'Well, it's such an expensive laptop. He dropped at least two-thousand dollars on this thing...' She said inaudibly. I could hear her sister tell her that a gift is a gift. 'I guess you're right. Anyways, I think he's out of the shower. I'll facetime you tomorrow, okay? On my new laptop, of course!' She whispered excitedly. The two said their goodbyes and she ended the call.

'Psst.' I called from behind her. She jumped up in fright, releasing the cutest little shout I've ever heard.

'Dawud! You scared me!' She exclaimed rising to her feet. I chuckled as she jogged over to where I stood, wrapping her arms around me tightly. Jannah nuzzled her face against my chest. 'Thank you for the laptop. It's the best gift I've ever received. After you, of course.'

I played with her long locks. 'Anything for you.' I whispered, inhaling the fruity smell that emanated from her body.

'You wanna order pizza?' She asked after hearing my stomach grumble.

'We truly are a match made in heaven, eh?' I joked.