Mystery Forest

The back streets of Scaleswind are lonely and quiet. But they are the paths I must take to get from place to place. Nicole privately warned me of what she would do if I did not listen to her request. To which I promptly sneered at. Though, we are all currently leaving the bustling village. So I won't have to suffer in the back streets for long. I was about to step out of the gate when I heard a guard yell something along the lines of "HALT!" I didn't know if it was directed at me but I wasn't gonna take chances.

Leaving as quickly as possible, I reached up and swung up into a tree. Right after, a cloaked figure ran by, followed by 5 guards. For some reason, even though the guards stopped and turned back quickly, I had this deep pit of a feeling that the cloaked figure was there for me.

Aphmau, Garroth, Laurence, Aaron, and Lucinda walked out not long after the guards returned. "Does anyone know where Y/N is?" Aphmau whispered when saying my name. They all shook their heads.

I swung down from the tree and landed on my feet. "I'm right here."

I got a few greetings, from Aphmau and Lucinda, but we soon got a move on back to Phoenix Drop. After a while, I realized that Aph was staying really close to me, almost hugging my side. It didn't bother me all that much but it did cause suspicion and worry for her to grow. We were just past Pikoro when it started to get darker. The sun was quickly setting, making it the perfect time for thieves. No one wanted to really turn back but we didn't want to stop either so we kept moving forward.

Time seemed to be moving extremely slow, and we were in the thick of the forest when I heard what seemed to be talking amongst unknown voices in the dark. I could see everyone else in front of me and Aphmau right next to me and none of the voices sounded like theirs. At least I pretty sure the voices wasn't theirs.

"We should stop here or somewhere close to here. It's getting really late and we need to get at least some sleep." Aphmau spoke up, startling Garroth and Laurence who were probably enjoying the silence.

"I agree that we need to stop to get some rest but I don't know if it's a good idea. Safety is just as important as rest." Aaron spoke up for seemed like the first (if not something close to that) time during this whole trip.

We all stopped. I drew my sword as they continued discussing this dilemma. "Rest is what we need though. If we don't get any rest tonight, then it'll be very hard to continue the journey home tomorrow." Aphmau spoke with authority.

"I agree with Aph on this. We need to rest or it's going to be a problem in the long run." Laurence joined in.

I took a deep breath making sure to listen to our surroundings carefully. "Even though I would usually agree with Aph," they all looked at me as I spoke. "I'm going to agree with Aaron on this. There is someone nearby and I don't trust this area of the forest. We are going to have to keep going at least until we can get to a more protected and trustable area."

"I thought I was imagining that feeling." Lucinda shivered and then ran her hand up and down her arm nervously.

"If you two don't feel like it's safe here, it's best for us to keep moving and find somewhere safer." Garroth agreed with us.

So we kept moving. The feeling let up a little but didn't disappear. It was another, what felt like, half an hour before the feeling and occasional voices faded away. The next thing we did was find a relatively comfortable clearing in the woods to spend the night in. "You all get comfortable and get rest, I'll take watch." I offered, well more like demanded.

I could tell Aphmau and Lucinda didn't like the idea that I wouldn't be getting any rest but they weren't going to voice their oppositions. The boys, however... well they're a different story. "You should get rest we'll take the shifts," Laurence stated authoritatively, and he isn't even the head guard. Aaron and Garroth agreed.

"No need. I can do it."

"Are you sure? You need rest too." Garroth seemed quite sure I needed rest to function.

"Boys, it's very kind of you to insist that you take shifts over watching. But I have been alive for 98 million years. I pretty sure I can do it." After a bit of an argument, they begrudgingly got some 'rest'. Guards never truly rest but that doesn't mean they won't pretend.

The night was calm and quiet. My ears were filled with the sounds of wildlife, calming my senses, but that feeling of being watched slowly crept back. I drew my sword and made sure to hold it close. If this feeling truly was a person, they aren't just gonna give themselves away. They have been watching us this entire trip and I suspect it's because of me. The feeling put me on high alert. No longer calm, every noise and brush of movement became suspicious to me.

The morning came slowly but very much welcomed by me. Everyone got up and we continued our journey back to Phoenix Drop. The feeling of being watched faded away and didn't return for the rest of the trip.

Finally, back in Pheonix Drop, it was bustling and cheery. But I was still stuck on trying to figure out what caused those feelings. Cause I know it's not because I'm 'sick'.