Crypt

(I think you know what it means if I link it above. :/ I'm so sleepy. Also if you haven't noticed, I changed how old Y/N and her brother are. It'll become relevant again at some point, but if you want to know now, it's in the "Family Reunion" chapter. When I changed their ages, I noticed how different my writing is compared to now. It's really funny.)
{How about a long chapter as an apology for taking so long?}

"This place is amazing!" I watched amused as Aphmau looked around with sparkling eyes.

"This is the only building still standing." Aaron pointed out. "Everything else is just foundations and rubble."

"Is there a reason why that is?" Laurence looked at me while squinting.

I shrugged. "Your guess would be as good as mine at this point. I haven't been back here in years." Well... more like centuries...

He hummed before taking a deep breath. "... Does this place look at all familiar to anyone else?" Laurence asked.

"I wasn't sure at first, but I think your right." Katelyn looked back up at the top.

"Yeah," Aphmau contributed. "It looks like the temple we saw in the Irene dimension." I smiled softly at the thought.

"This island... this place... Do you think they're connected?" Katelyn turned back around to look Aph in the eyes.

Aphmau downcast her gaze as she thought for a second, before lifting the caramel and responding, "I'm not sure, but's there only one way to find out. Let's go in and check it out."

"This is safe, right?" Aaron asked me cautiously.

"It's an old building; so it won't be in perfect shape."

"Yeah, but would we be in any immediate danger?"

"Not that I know of Laurence. But, again, I haven't been back here in years." I shrugged.

They seemed pleased enough with that answer, though, my forewarning put them on edge. As we walked in, it quickly became apparent that there wasn't a roof anymore. "Well... this is... something." Laurence gestured to the open sky.

"Roofs are overrated anyway." Katelyn winked at Aph with her snarky comment.

I chuckled. "This place is built like a sanctuary." Aaron pointed to the surreal nature of the palace-like building.

"But what's the connection to Irene?" Aphmau questioned.

They pondered the question for a moment. "What if it's just a church that was built for her?" The bluenette of the group responded first.

"That's how it would seem," Laurence agreed.

"This place seems so empty," Aph began as she started climbing up a pile of fallen debris. I smiled as I turned to cover my face with my elbow. Aaron, who's standing next to me, chuckled. "Is there anything else here?"

There was a short pause as my companions surveyed the room.

"This is just unbelievable," Laurence's comment made me raise my head. Aphmau was now on top of the pile, surveying the room, and I watched as her gaze stopped on the dais at the cathedral's front.

"You mean this building?" Aaron asked, gesturing to the wall to his right.

Aphmau looked down at our little gathering while Laurence rambled. "No. Well yes. I mean everything. I mean think about it. We might be some of the first people to set foot in this temple in, who knows how long. Heck, even this island. It's exciting!"

"Okay, Chad Jr. You can calm down." Katelyn crossed her arms, smiling, from where she stood on a smaller debris pile.

"Chad Jr.?" I asked, one eyebrow raised.